Thursday 28 November 2013

Tokidoki x Jujube Bags in TokiPerky and Unikiki

Being a longtime fan of Tokidoki bags, I couldn't resist picking up a couple of bags from their recent collaborations with Jujube, a diaper bag company. The timing was perfect too, with my baby boy arriving last month.

My first purchase was the Better Be shoulder bag in the TokiPerky print released for Spring 2013.

Next was the larger Be Prepared diaper bag in the Unikiki print released for Holiday 2013. This unicorn-themed print was immensely popular with most of the lower-priced bags selling out in a flash on the day of release. Unfortunately, it looks like there won't be a restock, so the only recourse is Ebay for many of the designs. It's disappointing that Tokidoki and Jujube can't seem to get the task of anticipating demand right, even after several collections. Diehard Tokidoki fans are reduced to stalking their website for these popular collections but not everyone has the time to do that.

The Be Prepared is quite a bit taller and roomier than the Better Be. For a quick trip outside for a few hours, for example to the mall, the Better Be is the perfect size and fits everything that I need. It also affords faster access to the interior via the flap with a magnetic closure whereas the Be Prepared's main compartment needs to be unzipped. The side pockets of Better Be are also easier to access compared to those of Be Prepared which have a covering flap.

Better Be's shoulder strap is also slightly wider compared to that of Be Prepared. I found Be Prepared to be surprisingly heavy when empty, so this will probably be reserved for travelling.

Both bags come with a padded changing mat, with the Better Be having a slightly larger one.


The cheerful whimsical prints never fail to brighten up my day. The prints featured in the Jujube collections are amongst the most charming ever done by Tokidoki, with none of the leggy Japanese girls common in the older Tokidoki releases.


Inside, there are several netted and zip pockets which make organising the multitude of items a baby needs a breeze. The bright interiors make it easy to see the contents.



My Samsung S2 phone slides easily into the side pocket.

Be Prepared has metal studs on the bottom but not the Better Be.





Overall, I think these are the best bags that Tokidoki has produced since its classic LeSportSac creations, in terms of the attractiveness of the prints and the quality of the bags. Hopefully, Tokidoki will continue this collaboration with Jujube for several more seasons to come. Tokidoki has also just released another Sanrio collection, which can be viewed here.

17 comments:

Li said...

Congratulations on your baby boy! I saw some pics of you holding a baby but wasn't sure if he was yours.

D. said...

Hi Iris!

Congrats on your little precious bundle! You're a stylish mama with awesome diaper bags ^.^

Best wishes,
D.

Haru said...

hi Li,
Thank you!

hi D,
Thank you, I hardly feel stylish these days with barely any time to put on makeup at all to be honest!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Have been a fan of your blog since my school days till now. To know that you're now a mum, just makes me realized how time just flies! Although I've never left a comment cause I'm a little shy (and never really knew what comments to leave behind), I really want to congratulate you and your precious baby boy! May you and your family be happy, healthy and stylish always!

ALL THE BEST!!!

CSK

Haru said...

hi CSK,
Aww, thank you for reading this little blog all these years! Yes, how time flies indeed and there have been so many changes in my life, but it's all good :-)

Maya said...

Congratulations, Iris! I wasn't sure if the baby is yours. But after confirming that he is, hey, congratulations! :)

I've been reading your blog for years, and I remember the post where you talked about how after heartbreaks, you weren't sure if it (marriage) would happen for you, but it did. :)

So happy for you!

Haru said...

hi Maya,
Thank you for the kind wishes! My life has certainly turned around for much better in the past six years since I met my husband and now with our baby, it feels pretty complete :-) We are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Iris, Congratulations! I've been reading your blog for a long time now. I'm so glad you came back to blogging because I'm always looking forward to reading your new entries: ). I wish you and your family all the best.

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Hi Iris ,
Can I find out from you if Tokidoki has any official retail shops, and in country can get it from ? Spore use to have the counters at Taka carrying it , but then have recently just wrapped up .. :-( So envy of your lovely bags ..
Thanks, Nellyn

Haru said...

Hi Nellyn,
The Tokidoki website ships internationally, so you can order from them directly. They only have physical stores in Los Angeles, I think.

macaroon said...

Hi Iris

Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy :)

May you and your family be bless with happiness and healthy always :))

Unknown said...

Hello! I happened to stumble upon your blog when researching Toki Jujube print bags. I must have had my head in the sand not having known about this collaboration! :)

I've been collecting Toki bags on and off since 2007. Since my "baby" is no longer a baby (she is 13 now, ha ha), I didn't even know these existed until I saw a friend with the Fairytella Hobobe style. I ended up getting the Fairytella Better Be and love all the compartments and pockets. I'm going to have a friend sew the changing pad on the sides and put a snap in so it can be a clutch.

I love how you compared the bag styles, functions, the interiors, etc. So very useful.

Looking forward to exploring more of your blog.

Lastly, Congratulations on being a new mom! :) Enjoy this most precious time!

Ivy Low said...

Congrats on your baby boy Iris!! Love the bags and xoxo from sg!!

Unknown said...

Aloha Haru!

I would like to ask you if you still have either of your JuJuBe Toki Perky BFF bags and if you will be selling either of them? I've been looking for this particular print for a very long time and have not had very much luck.

I look forward to hearing from you whether or not you will be possibly selling or keeping them.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Doni Lee :)

Haru said...

hi Doni,
I still have my Tokiperky diaper bag and use it everyday. Sorry, I'm not interested in selling it as it's just too useful for me.

Anonymous said...

HI Haru,
I was wondering if you still had your be prepared unikiki bag? If so, would you be willing to sell it?
Thank you
Nicole

Haru said...

hi Nicole,
I'm afraid I am not interested in selling the bag. Good luck finding one!