Sunday 17 May 2015

Revlon Photoready Eye Art

Once in awhile comes along a makeup product that is so laughably awful that one wonders how did it make it past any form of quality testing. Suckered in by the 40% off discount at Ulta and these ad visuals featuring Olivia Wilde, I picked up two Revlon PhotoReady Eye Art Lid + Line + Lash in 020 Lilac Luster and 060 Peach Prism. These retail usually at US$9.99 each.


The concept is simple enough - a pigmented cream eyeshadow on one end with a slightly flattened sponge applicator and a super sparkly (read: chock-full of glitter) shade on the other end with a slim tapered applicator that can be used over the cream shade, as an eyeliner or on the lashes.

Both Lilac Luster and Peach Prism looked dazzling in the tube with the former containing a mix of purple and pink glitter and the latter containing glitter that flashed gold, pink and lime.


The cream shade applies quite well at first but any attempt to layer it for greater intensity results in patchy unevenness. The glitter shade felt like applying glitter glue to the lids. It felt cooling at first before I realised to my horror that the folds of my eyelids were becoming stuck to one another. Like the cream shade, the glitter shade was virtually impossible to apply evenly all over the lids. The result was, to put it bluntly, a hot mess. I had creases in my eyelids that did not exist previously with the glitter migrated randomly all over. After a few hours, my eyelid had developed even more weird (and uncomfortable) creases and the cream eyeshadow had disappeared completely from the space right next to my lashes.

Even trying to use the glitter shade simply as an eyeliner along the lashline was an abject failure. It was only when I was removing my makeup did I see that there was a long strand of glitter dangling from the inner corner of my eye. It had peeled off from my lower lashline, perhaps in a desperate attempt to escape being part of this hot mess.

Removing this atrocity felt like rubbing sandpaper over my abused eyelids.

Verdict: Burn it. Revlon, you are dead to me.

3 comments:

Kas said...

Your verdict got me right there. Looks pretty in the tube though. What a pity

Bellyhead said...

Bwahahahah! There is something so satisfying about a total bad review. I'm so sorry this product was such a pile a poo, Iris! I was SO tempted when I saw this display also. Only being on a relative low-buy made me reconsider the purchase. I'm really glad I didn't get this now.

Haru said...

hi Bellyhead,
I KNEW I should have saved my pennies for the Suqqu summer trios instead! Got to resist the drugstore quick fixes as more often than not, they turn out to be mediocre. Everytime I wander into the beauty aisle, I'm amazed at how Cover Girl and Almay are still in business with their super outdated products.