Saturday 31 August 2013

Suqqu Frame Fix Liquid Foundation N Review

Suqqu released their Frame Fix Liquid Foundation N SPF30 PA++ in March earlier this year. The revamped version is supposed to offer better coverage compared to the original Frame Fix, and does away with the need for a separate primer. It is also supposed to be highly moisturising, blurring imperfections with a translucent veil and giving a flawless finish without the need for any special technique. It also provides higher sun protection factor than the original version which was SPF25 PA++.

Rather unusually, Suqqu lowered the price from 10,500yen for the original Frame Fix Liquid to 8400yen for the "N" version, while the size remained constant at 25ml. In the UK, this retails at £58 at Selfridges, versus £65 for the original version (which is still available on the Selfridges website, but not the N version). I paid around £52 after claiming the VAT refund. The packaging is still the same frosted glass bottle with a pump, except with classier design touches such as the golden ring around the base of the cap. The lettering on the glass bottle is also in a golden mirror-like finish.

I fell in love with the flawless texture when I swatched this on my hand at Selfridges but as the counter had no samples to offer, I eventually decided to purchase it without trying it out first. The shade #101 was a good match for my MAC NC20 skintone. The pics show the N version swatched on the left side and the original Frame Fix Liquid (also in shade #101) on the right side. The N version is a tad lighter and more neutral compared to the original version despite the shade numbers being the same.

The texture is a fairly dense cream that sets to a matte finish with medium to full coverage. There isn't a lot of time to blend before it sets so this is best applied in sections.

Of the foundations that I've tried recently, this offers the highest level of coverage. However, I also found it very tricky to work with as the finish was not as natural as I had hoped for. The first few times that I tried it, it looked mask-like with a proneness to caking and emphasising dry patches, especially on my cheeks and nose.

Although Suqqu recommends applying it with fingers and massaging it into the skin starting from the centre of the face, I just could not get an even application regardless of whether I applied it without a primer or using Suqqu's Makeup Base Creamy. While it gives excellent coverage in terms of camouflaging the dark under-eye circles and redness around the nose, there was some noticeable patchiness on the cheeks. In terms of oil control, I still had to blot every 2-3 hours.

The first look was done by applying the foundation with my fingertips after priming the skin with Makeup Base Creamy. One pump dispensed too much product for one application using the fingertips so I would recommend using only half a pump, unless you use a brush in which case, one pump would be sufficient.

Products used for this look: & Other Stories eyeshadows in Dowlas Cloud, Loden Green and Moreen Blue, Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in Emerald Gold, Helena Rubenstein Lash Queen Feline Blacks mascara, Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Getaway Red and YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain #9 Rouge Laque and K-Palette Lasting 2Way Eyebrow 02.

After experimenting with different application methods over the past week, the best method has turned out to be mixing the foundation with By Terry Eclat de Teint Color Skin Enhancer #2 Rose Lumiere before applying it. This reduces the level of coverage to about medium level but gives a much more natural-looking and seamless finish without showing up any dry patches. I applied the mixture with Louise Young's LY02 foundation paddle brush and then blended it out with my fingertips.

While the foundation lasted through more than 14 hours of wear, it did require blotting every few hours and some patchiness appeared on my T-zone.

For this look, I used Addiction Moroccan Rose Compact and Paul & Joe Lipstick CS #81 Once Upon A Time.

List of ingredients below. It contains silicones, mineral oil and alcohol, although alcohol is quite far down the list.

Overall, I was disappointed by Frame Fix Liquid Foundation N although it does provide very good coverage such that I can skip using a concealer. Given the high price tag, I expected a product that would be easier to work with. I will continue using it but I would not re-purchase it. Givenchy Teint Couture Fluid Foundation worked much better for my skin at half the price. If you have dry skin, you should consider the cream version of Frame Fix instead of the liquid version. You can find reviews of the cream version on Shameless Fripperies and Front Row Beauty.

Suqqu will be releasing their new Frame Fix Cream Foundation N and three new skincare products (Moisture Repair Essence, Moisture Lotion and Moisture Barrier Cream) in a pink packaging on 6 September in Japan.


For ladies interested in the fall color collection, do check out these swatches of the three palettes by Nmezza on MUA and this Chinese site.

No comments: