Sunday 16 December 2012

Cover Girl Clump Crusher Mascara

Cover Girl's latest mascara innovation is Clump Crusher, which was featured in Allure's list of 2012 beauty breakthroughs. It promises a clump-free finish even after thirty strokes of the wand. My MakeupAlley Secret Santa gifted it to me along with other goodies.


The ad campaign is fronted by the awesome Pink.

The concept behind Clump Crusher is that the bristles are designed so close together that clumps can't form.

Love the cheerfully bright neon green packaging, which makes the tube stand out amidst my usual clutter.

The wand is significantly broader than Cover Girl's Nature Luxe mascara (right in pic below). The bristles of Clump Crusher appear to be longer than the original Lash Blast, from what I recall.

It takes several swipes of the brush to build up sufficient length, and I often had to resort to using the end of the brush to layer on the mascara more efficiently. That actually leads to a bit of clumping, but the clumps are easily removed by swiping the brush through my lashes. The volumising effect was pretty average. The fat brush doesn't work too well on my sparse lower lashes, and sometimes results in accidental smudges.

While the jet black formula is nice, it didn't hold the curl of my lashes very well. It doesn't cause my lashes to revert back to being poker straight but there just isn't as much lift as I would like. I'm still searching for the perfect mascara that can create lashes like the amazing Drivel about Frivol.

Overall, Clump Crusher is a decent mascara but not exactly Holy Grail material. It doesn't smudge or flake (plus it does not contain any irritating fibres). I like it enough to keep using it every day but I will not replace it once it dries out.

Below is the ingredient list.

2 comments:

galpal.hi said...

Thank you for this review! I've been waiting and searching for it to be released here wanting to try it. However after your review, I may rethink it. Like you, I'm still searching for my HG mascara.

*Kat*

Maya said...

Hi Iris,

I find that most Japanese brand mascaras work better for my straight, thin lashes. And I discovered them through your blog! :)

I don't know why most Western or European brands don't work on my lashes. Maybe the heavier formula? They weight down my lashes even after curling.