Sunday 2 December 2012

Urban Decay Vice Palette

Urban Decay's stellar reputation for creating extraordinary eyeshadow palettes continues with the recent release of the Vice Palette. I wasn't intending to get this initially as I was very happy with the 15th Anniversary Palette from fall 2011. I finally caved with I realised that Sephora France was selling it at only €39, surprisingly cheaper than the US (US$59 = €45), UK (£42 = €52) and Singapore (S$88 = €55), plus I had a 10% discount voucher.

Vice contains 20 new eyeshadows that were created exclusively for this palette in UD's new velvety formula. This is great especially if you hate Midnight Cowboy which appeared frequently in UD's earlier palettes.

The packaging is beautifully sleek, a refreshing departure from the boxy design of the earlier variants of the Book of Shadows. Hopefully, the rubber material will not become a sticky mess like NARS' rubber compacts later on. Like the 15th Anniversary palette, the lid has a faceted raised logo.

The push-button mechanism is pretty clever, as it causes the lid to rise in a slow fluid motion, revealing a huge mirror under the lid.


The eyeshadows are made in the USA, while the brush is made in China. Each eyeshadow is 0.8g/0.03oz, just slightly more than half the size of UD's regular eyeshadow singles (1.5g/0.05oz).

The 20 shades are a good mix of metallic, glittery, satin and matte shades. The texture varies depending on the finish. Some feel ultra velvety and rich whereas some shades like Jagged and Provocateur are more dry and gritty due to the glittery particles.

There are some shades that look similar to those in other UD palettes. Nevertheless, I loved the wonderfully smoky metallic and vibrant shades in Vice which provide for endless creative possibilities. In particular, Junkie, Provocateur, Chaos, Rapture and Armor stood out to me.


These swatches were done on bare skin without primer. Most shades required just one to two swipes each. Jagged, Chaos and Anonymous required more layering than the rest.






For this look, I applied Junkie along the upper lashline with Chaos in the middle of the lid, Provocateur along the lower lashline and inner corners, Echo Beach over the browbone area and Armor above the outer half of the crease.

Junkie has become a fast favourite, for the bright pop of emerald color that it gives. It has a more velvety and blendable texture than Chaos, which has a semi-matte finish.

Used over a good primer, the eyeshadows last very well over more than six hours without creasing or fading. There is some fallout during the application process so it's best to do your eye makeup and clean up the fallout before doing your base makeup.


Other products used include: Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Fashionista Fashion Secret Gel Eyeliner in 24/7 Style, Lancome Blush Subtil in 02 Rose Sable, K-Palette Lasting 2Way Eyebrow S01 and 1Day Lash Perm mascara, RMK Super Basic Liquid Concealer EX01, Addiction Tinted Moisturizer 01 and Dear Liar Lipgloss, and Paul & Joe Face Powder 001.

The double-ended synthetic brush works pretty well but I still prefer my other brushes for more precise application.

My go-to eyeshadow brushes by MAC and Louise Young.

Vice makes a welcome addition to my arsenal of UD palettes. UD may be best known for its Naked palettes but those have never appealed to me as I prefer more colorful combinations.

As you can see in the pic below, Vice is much slimmer and compact compared to the Book of Shadows palettes. I highly recommend it if you like shimmery eyeshadows and want a diverse fun mix of shades.

News broke earlier this week of L'Oreal's acquisition of Urban Decay. While I do like several brands under the L'Oreal empire like YSL and Armani, it's sad to see Urban Decay lose its independent status. Hopefully, this won't mean a diminishing of its fiercely creative spirit and product quality in pursuit of ever-rising revenue, which is pretty much the depressing story of MAC under Estee Lauder.

11 comments:

tika said...

i want ur UD collections *__*

Anonymous said...

Wow what an UD collection! Love your makeup looks btw :)

galpal.hi said...

Love your eye look that you did with the palette. I was totally not going to get this palette as I thought it was a bit similar to the 15th Anniversary Palette and BOS III, both of which I have. I went into Sephora armed with my VIB card and knew that I wanted to get one Vice Palette for my dear friend for Christmas and I stood there debating whether or not I really wanted it too. The SA convinced me to get it although she was resisting it herself. Haha! I went back to Sephora the other day and that SA came up to me and told me that she caved and ended up buying the palette too and is quite happy with it. It really is a pretty palette and I'm having fun trying to figure out different combinations to wear.

*Kat*

Haru said...

hi Kat,
Looking forward to your review and looks with this palette! I like the bright shades in Vice, which make it different from the earlier BOS palettes. 15th Anniversary is excellent too, and I think the shades are sufficiently different to warrant having both.

hi Parveen,
thank you!

Cath said...

They're coming out with Nude Basics.
http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2012/11/28/new-urban-decay-naked-basics-palette/

Sharina said...

Wow so much UD palettes!!!
Im salivating!
♥,
Shari

Makeup Remastered said...

Was going to refrain from this palette, but u have made me think twice!!-cannot wait for the Naked matte's!

Anonymous said...

hi iris, u look so pretty in the teal eyeshadow/ pale lips combo!

Emily said...

Love it! I wanna have one of this. i will def include this in my wishlist. Hope that someone will grant it =)

Kas said...

I have yet to use mine! I like the look you did. And did you perm or curl your hair? Looks nice!

Haru said...

Hi Kas,
Thanks, you should start using yours! Nope, it's just slightly curled from being tied up while I was doing my makeup.