Sunday 20 February 2011

The Body Shop Brush With Fashion

The Body Shop recently launched its spring makeup collection, Brush With Fashion, in Singapore. All the products include an integrated brush, making them convenient for travel or touch ups on the go.

The limited edition cruelty-free collection comes in recyclable product packaging designed by Katarina Voloder, a first-year Fashion Illustration student at the London College of Fashion. According to Ann Massal, International Brand and Innovation Director for The Body Shop, this is "the first of an exciting series of partnerships with the world of fashion".

Since receiving the products from Body Shop, I've been wearing the eyeshadows and Hi-Shine Lip Treatments every day for the past week. The Hi-Shine Lip Treatments (S$18.90, 14ml) in #1 Pink Cream and #11 Juicy Peach are highly translucent with very fine sparkles, nothing too loud.

These add hardly any colour to my lips but they do give a nice glossy finish and helped to keep my lips from chapping in the London winter. The texture feels a tad thick though. Both have a strong peach/passionfruit scent but it doesn't bother me.

The Limited Collection for Eyes (S$39.90; S$29.90 for members) palettes each contain 4 powder eyeshadows, a mini eyeliner pencil and a brush. The eyeshadows are 2.2g each, which is incredibly generous (compared to say MAC eyeshadow singles which are 1.5g). The brushes are Body Shop's usual soft synthetic bristles, and work very well for both blending and lining. Of the two palettes, I preferred #2 La Mode, which has a pearly white, pale pink, metallic silver and intense matte black.

Using Too Faced Shadow Insurance as the base, I applied the white shade over the browbone area, the pink shade from the inner corner to the middle of the upper lid, the silver shade in the outer half of the lid and along the lower lashline, and the black shade along the upper lashline. I also used Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner to line the upper lashline. The eye pencil was a dud on me as it was just too hard and I couldn't get it to show up without a lot of dragging.

The white shade can look frosty if applied too heavily so do use a very light hand if using this as a highlighter shade. The pink shade was a bit of a disappointment as it was so pale, and not like the vibrant pink on the model in the ad visual. I loved the matte black which was fabulously pigmented and blendable, and similarly for the silver shade.

For this look, I am wearing Hi-Shine Lip Treatment #11 Juicy Peach.

This was a second look that I did with #2 La Mode, using Topshop Eyeshadow Mousse in Tundra as the base with the silver eyeshadow over the eye socket area and along the lower lashline, the black shade along the upper lashline and the white shade over the browbone.

For this look, I am also wearing the Hi-Shine Lip Treatment #1 Pink Cream.

The Limited Collection for Eyes #1 Boho Beauty is a more work-friendly combination of beiges and browns. I liked the light shimmery beige shade which had very delicate micro-sparkles but the peach shade may be difficult for some ladies to pull off as due to the orange tone.

For this look, I applied the light beige shade over the browbone area, the light brown shade over the eye socket area, the peach shade above the crease and the dark brown shade along the upper lashline.


The Illuminating Face Base (S$29.90, 15ml) is supposed to add a warm glow to help perk up tired, dull skin. Although it was a decent makeup base, I didn't really notice any additional glowy effect after I had applied my Lancome Maqui Miracle powder foundation.

The collection also includes a Tailored Cheek Tint (S$19.90). I haven't tried it out yet but you can see swatches of it on Makeupstash.com.

3 comments:

Diane said...

I've only seen posts on UK blogs (until now) about the Brush With Fashion line so I thought this collection was exclusively in the UK. I wonder since it's also been released in Singapore if it will make it to the US. Do you have any info on where else this collection was launching?

Haru said...

hi Diane,
Sorry, I don't have any info on where else the collection will be released. It's on the Japan website as well, so it looks like the Asian countries should all get it.

Rachel said...

Very nice! I like the packaging of this collection a lot, and remember using a TBS High-Shine lip treatment the last time I was in the UK too :) I didn't find them moisturizing, but they did act as a barrier against the cold and wind, so they stopped my lips from drying out more than they were.