Thursday 7 June 2012

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream

Over the weekend, I picked up the new Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream. This promises eight benefits, namely hydration that lasts all day, covers imperfections, creates a natural glow, provides a fresh sensation, sun protection of SPF30, non-oily finish, skin looks visibly smoother and adjusts to one's skin tone. Of the four shades available in France, I picked the lightest shade, Claire, which should be "Light" in the UK/US. I purchased it for €12+ at a supermarket only to find it selling at just €8+ at Carrefour later on the same day.

The texture is light and slightly runny. It is incredibly easy to blend to a seamless finish just by using one's fingertips. However, the coverage is also on the sheer side so this is basically just a lightweight tinted moisturiser. It just barely evens out my skintone and does not cover up serious blemishes or pigmentation.

The light beige shade matches my skintone well and it has none of the greyish tones that one often finds in Korean BB creams. The finish is not flat matte but also not overly dewy. If your skin is looking dull and sallow, this helps to make it look healthier.

My skin is slightly schizophrenic in that it is surface dehydrated but still fundamentally an unabashed oil gusher. If I use moisturiser under my foundation, it often makes my skin get oily even faster, but if I skip moisturiser or primer, the foundation does not go on as smoothly. Dream Fresh BB Cream aids in that respect by allowing me to use just one product instead of moisturiser plus foundation. I can skip moisturiser when using this, and simply finish it off with concealer and powder. It does not make my skin look completely flawless, but it does make it look better and healthier without looking like heavy makeup. The oil control is not fantastic, and I still need to blot around every two hours.

While Dream Fresh BB Cream has worked quite well for me over the past few days, the presence of ethylhexyl palmitate as the second ingredient does give one for concern as this is a palm oil derivative that is comedogenic and can cause breakouts. Ladies who are acne-prone may want to look for a better alternative. It has not made me break out any more than usual, but my skin is also not trouble-free (it never is).


For this look, I used the Dream Fresh BB Cream under Paul & Joe Pressed Powder #3.


The other products used are: Clinique High Lengths Mascara and Blushwear Cream Stick 07 Black Honey, Anna Sui Lipgloss C 400, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, K-Palette Lasting 2Way Eyebrow 01, MAC Blackline Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner, RMK Super Basic Liquid Concealer EX01 and Jill Stuart Jewel Crystal Eyes 03 Princess Sapphire.

My Jill Stuart palettes have been neglected for several months now. I like the sweet shade combination of Princess Sapphire but the shimmery fallout can be annoying as it gets everywhere!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am really loving this product. Certainly doesn't offer much coverage but I love the finish!

galpal.hi said...

I hadn't heard of this BB cream so thank you for your review. It's great that it doesn't turn greyish/ashy like the Korean brands do. Too bad it's so sheer.

As always, an awesome review!

*Kat*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the helpful review! I did not know that about ethylhexyl palmitate being comedogenic so thank you for pointing that out. The bb cream looks nice on you though!

Anonymous said...

Hi may I know where did you get this BB cream from? Watsons??

Haru said...

hi,
I purchased this in France. The version available in Europe is different from the Clear Smooth BB Cream available in Singapore and Asia.

Fizzy! said...

I am looking forward to buying a BB cream and ur review helped me formulate my opinion. I am ur newest follower.

I invite u to have a look at my blog. Do follow if u like it, I'd be real glad.
http://fabiliscious.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

wow haru, dont be annoyed. they really look lovely.