Tuesday 2 December 2008

Popples!

If you grew up in the 1980s on a cartoon diet of Care Bears, Jem, Smurfs, My Little Pony, you may also be familiar with Popples which were tiny critters that could be snuggled into a pouch on that back. I never figured out what animal they were inspired by but just loved the bright colors that they came in and the fact that they always seemed to be ridiculously cheerful.

There's a shop near Ainz Tulpe in Harajuku, right next to the Accessorize store and the entrance to the Meiji Jingumae subway station, which sells assorted Care Bears and other vintage toys paraphernalia. Yesterday, I was delighted to discover that they had started carrying Popples merchandise! I got this pack of 100 stickers for the bargain price of only 210yen :-)



6 comments:

fuzkittie said...

Woo! I collect stickers as well! :]

Mellerson said...

I used to looooove Popples! I had a purple one with pink hair, and I use to think of it as a giant olive when it was all tucked up.

Anonymous said...

Hi, since your in japan now can i ask if 37000 yen would be enough for shopping there? cos i'm going there soon also n i'm planning to mainly shop for makeup there. pls reply thanks alot! =)

Haru said...

Hi,

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who used to love Popples! I had a couple of them but probably given away to charity a long time ago.

Hey Fridagal,

It really depends how much you're intending to buy. For me, I usually spend at least 50,000yen on each trip to Japan, as just one palette from a prestige brand will cost 5250yen. Even the higher end drugstore brands cost around 3675yen these days. 37,000yen definitely can buy you a lot, especially if you shop mainly drugstore brands. Have a good holiday!

Pixel said...

AWW! Too cute! I was a Popple for Halloween one year and I also had Popples sheets. I lurved those little guys.

Anonymous said...

I had Putter Popple; but a mouthie-bot came through the Popple portal and attacked him!