Wednesday 15 July 2009

Small Guerlain & MAC haul

I stopped by the Guerlain counter in Tangs on Monday to check out the eye products on sale. By then, only two of the eyeshadow quads in the permanent line were still in stock. Guerlain's quads have never been as attractive as say, Dior Iridescent quints, to me as the latter have a much more velvety and pigmented texture. But my eye was still drawn to the Ombre Eclat #182 L'Instant Nuit (Instant Night) which is a metallic blackened olive green. This was quite a steal at only S$25 for 3.6g, more than twice the weight of a MAC eyeshadow! I think this is the largest single eyeshadow I own and will probably last me several years.


If you touch the surface of the eyeshadow with your finger, it actually feels dryish and not as smooth as Dior Iridescent quints which have an almost molten silky texture. I used the included sponge applicator and to my surprise, it took quite a bit of layering to get the eyeshadow to show up intensely over my usual Testimo Bright Up Eye Base. I guess this is good for ladies who prefer more sheer applications but I prefer shades that make more of a statement. Nevertheless, when layered properly, L'Instant Nuit shows up exactly like the deep smokey shade with a metallic glint that you see in the pan so overall, I am still quite happy with it. It also lasted very well over more than 8 hours of wear without any fading.


I wonder how long Guerlain is going to continue these promotions? It's definitely a good way to bring in many new customers who would otherwise not try Guerlain, and in these gloomy economic times, any discount is most welcome to beauty junkies.

At the MAC counter, the Mineralize blushes in the Color Craft collection had finally arrived so I picked up Style Demon, which was the only shade that impressed me out of the six available. The rest was either too frosty or pale for my liking. Style Demon is quite pretty but I have to use a light hand as it is very pigmented.


There was hardly any copper veining in the pot I got, just a rich intense berry red shimmer.

7 comments:

plue said...

i bought fadabulous, but did not pick up style demon :(

i wonder if i shud be regretting right now.

Anonymous said...

Lovely haul! I think the Guerlain single eyeshadows look really pretty, even though I haven't purchased any yet. But I'm very tempted, haha...

#182 L'Instant Nuit looks really beautiful! Yes, I kinda prefer less pigmented shadows. I definitely have to chek out this color next time. I think this color is great for doing bolder looks for nighttime. <3

Thanks for sharing!

Jamilla Camel said...

Very nice haul!

I love Guerlain....

Anonymous said...

The Guerlain single eyeshadows look lovely, i was there just, i nearly pick it up..LOL.. but the SA recomended me another one ..LOL.. in the end, i bought 85 Night Fever (19plus) n 140 ($25)

Catherine said...

Very pretty! I'm considering picking up Style Demon now as I think it is a lovely berry/brick blush for fall... I'm afraid it's too sparkly though. I felt like the whole Colour Craft collection was excessively sparkly. =/

Gorgeous Guerlain eyeshadow though!!

CedriCeCCentriC said...

I read several reviews saying that Guerlain singles are not as good quality or as highly pigmented as their quads. The packaging is very chic though.

Anonymous said...

I've never bought any Guerlain either but I'd sure like to buy their Meteorites but the new fall collection sure looks pretty!