Monday 28 March 2011

L'Oreal Open Eyes Pro and Curl Impact Collagene

I've been testing out the new L'Oreal Open Eyes Pro Vivid Green palette and Curl Impact Collagene mascara (S$26.80) since receiving them at the L'Oreal bloggers' event. Vivid Green is one of four new Open Eyes Pro palettes that will be released in April in Singapore. Gradational palettes like this are very quick and easy to use if you are a makeup novice as they take all the guesswork out of how to combine different shades. One useful feature of the palette is the small mirror at the bottom of the sponge applicator compartment.

The texture is very similar to the gradational palettes by Japanese brands such as Fasio and Majolica Majorca. The three green shade have a soft glimmer and blend very nicely with one another. The darkest green shade is the most pigmented of the three. The sparkly silvery white shade in the top left corner is more powdery and lustrous.

Using Beaute de Kose Eye Fantasist BL952 Blue Wonder as the base, I used the thin sponge applicator to apply the darkest green shade from the lashline to the crease and the broad sponge applicator to apply the medium green shade in the crease and the outer half of the lower lashline. Next, I used the broad sponge applicator to apply the light green shade as a wash over the browbone area and then used my fingertip to sheer out the effect. I also used the thin sponge applicator to apply the silvery white shade at the inner corners and along the lower lashline. I finished by curling my lashes and applying the Curl Impact Collagene mascara and MAC Superslick Liquid Eye Liner in On The Hunt.

Overall, I found that the eyeshadows lasted very well through more than 10 hours of wear without fading. There was some minor creasing at the inner corners though. I liked how the silvery white shade helped to make my eyes look more awake. It's more messy to apply compared to the other three shades but the illuminating effect is lovely.

Having tried the Curl Impact Collagene mascara a few times, I think that it is a decent mascara but not holy grail material for me. I liked how the jet black fibre-free formula defined my lashes and helped to lengthen them. If I do not use an eyelash curler, it does give a bit of lift and curl to my lashes but the effect is not as pronounced as compared to using an eyelash curler. So I would definitely still continue using an eyelash curler.

In term of keeping my lashes curled at a higher angle, it wasn't as good as Visee Lash Wide Impact (Curl Long) but on the plus side, it doesn't have potentially irritating fibres like the Visee mascara does. It also lasted well throughout the day without flaking or smearing and was easily removed with Cleansing Express Eye Makeup Remover. Application was smooth without clumping for the first few sweeps through the lashes, but if layered excessively, you will see miniscule black balls starting to form.

On my lips, I am wearing Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited PK356, which is described as a "stylish fuschia" on the US website. This bold pink shade is actually not available in Japan. Not only is it very well pigmented, it also has excellent lasting power of up to 4-5 hours, including drinking. (Shu Uemura belongs to the L'Oreal group.)

The other products that I used for this look were: Cover Girl Natureluxe Liquid Silk Foundation #320 Aspen, Jill Stuart Loose Powder, Dior Skinflash, K-Palette Real Lasting Eyebrow 02 and Esprique Precious Gradation Layer Cheek #1 Coral Red.

6 comments:

R. said...

I love that lip colour on you, it looks great!

Kai said...

love the eye look! i saw these Loreal palettes (well, not this color tho) when i was in japan, but i keep talking myself out of it since it's L'oreal! though everything looks so much better than US l'oreal lol. i did break down and buy a Maybelline japan exclusive lipstick though... *coughs*

anywayz, i see you're trying out the Cover Girl Nature Luxe foundation. Can you write a review on it? both color match and texture, etc., etc. I'm your shade (maybe a smidgen darker) so I would love your thoughts on this :D

Thanks!

milktea said...

The Loreal green palette looks very good on you. If you told me it was from Kose or Kanebo, I'd believe you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Did you buy the lipstick from Singapore outlet?

Haru said...

hi Effloresce,
Thank you! I've been wearing it for several days now and love it.

hi Kai,
Sure, I'll review the Cover Girl foundation after I've tried it out a few more times. So far, I find that the oil control is quite poor although the finish is not bad.

hi milktea,
Thank you!

hi,
the Shu Uemura lipstick was provided by the PR company in Singapore for Shu Uemura.

makeupmag said...

I really have to get down to trying this mascara. I'm certain my hidden straight Chinese lashes will need a curler. :P