Sunday 10 July 2011

Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells Mascara

Earlier this week, I received Lancome's new Hypnose Precious Cells Mascara (S$50) to try out. This is the second Lancome mascara with the "Precious Cells" formula to be introduced in Singapore, after the launch of Virtuose Precious Cells in April 2010 (see my earlier review here). Hypnose Precious Cells has already been available in Europe for some time, if I'm not wrong, while the US has only Definicils Precious Cells.

Hypnose Precious Cells boasts a "Lash Densifier Complex" that consists mainly of a precious plant cell extract, Malus domestica, which is supposed to be capable of restoring the environment of stem cells in the lashes within the follicle. Malus domestica is derived from a rare Swiss apple, Uttwiler Spatlauber that has the ability to last months longer than other varieties after being plucked from the tree. The secret to the apple’s longevity is its extraordinarily resilient stem cells. Malus domestica, which also contains a complex association of peptides, lipids and sugars, is also used in Lancome's Absolue Precious Cells skincare line.

Other key ingredients in the mascara include madecassoside (for fortifying and thickening the lashes), arginine (a nourishing type of amino acid) and hyaluronic acid (for an instant plumping effect). According to Lancome, Hypnose Precious Cells will help lashes to become "visibly regenerated", stronger and densified within 28 days. Younger lashes can now grow stronger and fuller while mature lashes remain visibly longer and thicker.

The smudge-resistant formula is also designed for wear under hot and humid weather, and can be easily removed with just warm water. The helix-shaped brush has two flat sections to generously coat the lashes and two structured ridges for optimal definition, volume and lengthening.

Hypnose Precious Cells is supposed to have a greater volumising effect than Virtuose Precious Cells, which has greater curling power. And indeed, that turned out to be the case on my lashes with Hypnose Precious Cells giving my lashes less of a "lift" than Virtuose. Nevertheless, Hypnose did keep my lashes curled over several hours of wear instead of pointing straight downwards.


The mascara is not ultra wet or slick like some other brands but it applies quite smoothly without clumping even after running the brush through my lashes a few times. The brush comes out of the tube with just the right amount of product. It builds pretty good length, volume and definition. I also liked how it was able to build length on the super sparse and thin lashes on my lower eyelids. The mascara did not flake or smudge during the 6 hours that I wore it. I was able to remove the mascara easily with Maybelline Makeup Remover (a bi-phase remover for eyes and lips).

Overall, I think the only flaw with Hypnose Precious Cells is that it doesn't curl and lift my lashes as much as some other mascaras but otherwise, I like this enough to use it for everyday wear. I haven't used it long enough to judge if it makes my lashes stronger but I think this will be a good option to help me cut back on my use of waterproof mascaras, which I've read are not healthy for the lashes if used excessively.

4 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

I agree with you on this one. Hypnose Drama does a much better job in the curling dept.

rachel hoe said...

hi are you selling any of your products? would be good if you can do a post?

Haru said...

Hi Rachel,
Nope, I don't plan to sell any of my stuff at the moment.

ashura said...

I agree with you. It doesn't curl my stubborn lashes as well as other mascaras, but does a pretty decent job in separating lashes...