Sunday 21 August 2011

Operation Use It Up

It seems like the months are just flying by, the closer that we get to the end of the year. Pretty soon, we'll be into the final quarter of 2011 and the avalanche of glittering holiday collections. Those are are always interesting to see (I'm looking forward to the new Meteorites by Guerlain!), plus they are followed very quickly by the spring collections.

Anyway, these are the products that I've managed to use up from my stash this month:

1. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate: This was awfully pricey at US$85 and annoyingly, the pump mechanism was broken from the start, but the pot was easy to open. It works well as an exfoliating treatment without being too abrasive but it does sting, so sensitive skintypes may want to stay clear of it. It now comes in a much more sensible squeeze tube and in three versions: Gentle, Intensive and Acne Clearing. I may re-purchase this in the future but probably only when there is a discount or attractive gift with purchase.

2. Daiso Puff/Sponge Detergent: A very thoughtful gift from a friend, this quickly became a weekly staple for thoroughly cleaning my foundation sponges. Now, I also use it in place of MAC Brush Cleanser sometimes to clean my brushes. It works faster than MAC Brush Cleanser for cleaning liquid foundation off brushes. And the price (S$2) is unbeatable! The only problem is finding it in stock at Daiso.

3. Lucido-L Designing Pump Hair Jelly (Swing Keep): This helped to keep my hair manageable but I'm not sure I like it enough to re-purchase it.

4. Jurlique Purifying Foaming Cleanser: I purchased this when it was on 50% discount at Robinsons. The usual retail price of S$64 is way too exorbitant for what is basically just an average foaming cleanser, albeit one that contains many essential oils. You're probably better off spending on a moisturiser or serum that will stay on your skin longer than the cleanser. I wouldn't re-purchase this because of the price tag, plus the cleanser tends to get caught inside the cap and turns into a gooey mess around the pump.

5. Paul & Joe Body Mask: I liked the orange flower scent of this body mask, and how it left my skin soft and smooth. Paul & Joe Singapore likes to give this away under their members' rewards programme, which is how I ended up with 3 tubes of it. I think it has since been discontinued as it is no longer listed on the Paul & Joe website. The tube lasted about 5-7 uses.

6. Lancome Bi-facil: This works well for removing most eye makeup, but not for the most stubborn of waterproof mascaras. I still prefer Cleansing Express Eye Makeup Remover which is much cheaper and just as effective.

7. Benefit Refined Finish Facial Polish: Love the refreshing melon-y scent of this! The scrubby bits provide good exfoliating action without feeling too abrasive or sharp, and left my skin feeling extra smooth. I would purchase this.

8. H2O+ Raspberry Guava Body Butter: This absorbed very easily without any greasy feeling on the skin. It has a light sweet raspberry scent that isn't too cloying.

9. Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar Shower Gel: This was just an average shower gel for me as the scent wasn't that special.

10. L'Oreal Smooth Intense Smoothing Conditioner: I purchased this in India after seeing that it contained argan oil, so it might not be available in other countries. It worked well on my dry hair and left it free of tangles.

11. Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair Treatment Mask: This was a free sample pot that came with a recent issue of Her World. It was enough for three uses, and left my hair feeling soft and easy to manage.

5 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

I never seem to have a problem using up toiletries - it's the makeup I have a problem with!

Haru said...

Haha, same! I think the only makeup items I've used up recently are eyeliners and eyebrow liners!

Anonymous said...

in your opinion, does the daiso brush cleaner make the brush bristles brittle? I think MAC brush cleaners does a decent job but i do find its pricey when i am cleaning my brushes (many)every week. Besides MAC, I have been wondering what would be a good alternative brush cleaner to try next.

Haru said...

hi,
Nope, the Daiso detergent doesn't make the bristles brittle. And do note that it's not actually made for brushes as it is meant to be used for sponges. Baby shampoo is also often recommended as a cheap alternative, but I didn't like Johnson's baby shampoo when I used it on my brushes as they seemed to leave a slight residue.

Maya said...

Iris, the Daiso puff and sponge cleaner is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to find in stock. :( I have been looking and it's like an urban legend. Everyone knows about it, but not many have seen it in stock, and only a few (maybe) have had experience with it.

I resorted to MAC's brush cleaner. Pricier but more easily available.