Saturday 22 August 2009

Caveat Emptor

Would you use a lipgloss that is two years old? Yesterday, I bought a pair of lipglosses from a company that is famous for their lip balm. When I was about to try one of them today, I discovered to my horror a sticker on one that stated that the manufacturing date was "Sep 2007". The other lipgloss was made sometime in 2008. I promptly returned to the department store and asked if they had any newer stock that I could exchange for. But when the SA pulled out a bagful of the lipglosses in the shade that I bought, she found that they were all made in 2007. She explained that the standard shelf life of the company's lipglosses was three years. I was simply aghast and told her bluntly that I did not want a lipgloss that was two years old and that I thought it was terrible that the company was selling lip products that were that old. Fortunately, she was able to give me store credit in exchange, and promised to pass the feedback on to the management.

So do be careful when purchasing makeup products and always look for the manufacturing/expiry date if possible.

8 comments:

JacQlin said...

hi where did this happen? juz a hint? tks

Haru said...

Hi,
it's one of the brands where the SAs usually wear white lab coats.

Catherine said...

...how unfortunate... =/

Anonymous said...

Actually, I would use it; I don't know what that says about me LOL. I guess I can see why you would be pissed if you purchased it and it was that old, though.

Unknown said...

That's terrible!
I might use a lipgloss that was new but haven't been opened for 2 yrs, of my own collection. But I would never buy a lipstick/gloss in a store that was that old! Glad you complained and got your store credit.

Serene said...

its KHIEL'S!. I have a similiar experience too! Their products are slow moving hence many of their things are manufactured for a long time too

JL said...

It's nice of you not to mention the counter/brand. I had a similar experience from a counter/brand which is famous for its ~tints (SAs wear pink and black) where their lipstick was also made in 2007. When I went to exchange, the SA showed me a drawer full of 2007 manufactured lipsticks. She "explained" that the expiry date starts when you start using, not when it is made. Unbelievable.

engeng said...

haiz.. recently i got a a lipgloss and a lipice color balm, not from watsons, not guardian.. and when i open the lipice color balm, it actually has a smell which i don't think a normal one will have. It's only then when I realised that it's manufactured in 06/2007 :( was there only because wanted to get sth else.. regret not going to watsons instead :(