Sunday 27 September 2009

Chanel Rouge Allure Review

The Chanel Noirs Obscurs collection kept calling me back to the counter until eventually I caved in and bought the Rouge Allure #147 Maniac lipstick (S$44) during the recent Isetan Private Sale. I thought that it could be the perfect dark lip base for combining with various lipglosses. When faced with a range of lip colors, my eye is invariably drawn towards the darker plummy shades. My first makeup purchase was 12 years ago at a MAC counter in Montreal where I got MAC Underworld lipstick as the MA had the most gorgeously gothic blackened blood red lips. Unfortunately, I was never able to replicate that MA's look with Underworld!


Maniac looks like a blackened burgundy in the tube. Applied on its own, it is not that flattering on my MAC NC20 skintone as it looks like a flat purplish burgundy. But you can easily change the shade by layering a lipgloss shade on top to make it lighter, more red/pink-toned, more shimmery etc. You can see very accurate swatches of the three Rouge Allure lipsticks in the Noirs Obscurs collection on Blogdorf Goodman. It is intensely pigmented and goes on with a creamy matte finish that is not drying. The lipstick feels very luxurious and has a very faint berry scent that is hardly noticeable.


Since there was a rebate for purchase of $100, I topped up my purchase with two Glossimers, #134 Jupiter and #128 Meteore (S$38 each). These are intensely jampacked with shimmer and looked absolutely dazzlingly under the counter lights. While I liked the texture and shades, I didn't like the glitter bits that were left on my lips after I wiped off the lipgloss during a meal. It took several more hard wipes to get the glitter bits off.


Jupiter (below) is a bright cherry red with pink shimmer while Meteore is a rosey pink.


Here's what Maniac looked like on my lips with Meteore layered over it. As you can see, Meteore brightens Maniac up, takes away the dark purple tone and gives it more of a reddish berry tone. It's a perfect shade for the holiday season, and is much more flattering than Maniac on its own!

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow, those lipglosses are so pretty! And I really like this lip! The gloss really livens up the lipstick. =)

saintangelius said...

You are so right! I would never in a million years envisioned that lippie to be so pretty with a gloss o.o! The print ads that came out with that collection made it look like it was a colour only meant for the pale and deathly -.-; I'm very much the typical malaysian chinese skintone where pure pink and purple lippies make me look like I should have a role in some horror movie...

BV said...

OMG your lips look super gorgeous!! who knew that the gothic red lipstick could become the subdued beautiful red orange shade?? INSANE LOVE!!
Thanks so much for posting!
bv

Anonymous said...

Great buys...absolutely gorgeous on u!!

Anonymous said...

that is some gorgeous killing colour on your lips! Meteore looked like sxxx on me!!! :( but it is so amazing on your lips. i wish i could wear it so well.

Jamilla Camel said...

Maniac looks FAB on you!!

thenewgirl said...

wow the combination looks amazing~

kuri said...

wow, that combination is gorgeous on you! I would never have thought that the gloss would make that much difference. I have some dark lippies that are a bit difficult to wear easily; I'll have to experiment with my glosses to see if they can become more wearable.

Amelia said...

Oh my gosh! the combo is really really nice! Tempted to go out and but a tube myself >.<

pinky"the-middle-name-is-princess"beanie said...

That layering is gorgeous on you!

Alex said...

0.o that's very sophisticatedly pretty!

Alice said...

Wow those colours are so beautiful together! I'm very tempted to go buy both myself now!

Joey said...

That's gorgeous on you! I bought Maniac also, and Obscure =) and I love them both. My skintone is darker than yours though, so they don't stand out as much =( but I'm gonna try layering a Glossimer over them like you did!