Friday 11 September 2009

Sweet x Anna Sui & Marc Jacobs Mook

I stopped by Kinokuniya today to pick up the new October issue of Sweet magazine (S$21.90) which comes with the Anna Sui multi-case.


The magazine itself is a mega whopper at 436 pages as it is the fall fashion issue, I guess equivalent to the September issue of American fashion rags. The Anna Sui case is very well made and of a standard that one would expect of GWPs offered at the makeup counters. The material is polyester but it has a little bit of padding so it does not feel flimsy at all.



It can be used as a passport case, cosmetic case, wallet, camera/portable game case.


I got to Kino (Ngee Ann City) a little just before 1pm as the magazine would be released for sale at 2pm. There was already a queue for Steady (as only 10 copies were brought in to be sold on a first-come-first served basis, no phone reservations this time). Fortunately, the staff told me that there was no need to queue for Sweet, I guess because they brought in quite a large quantity. So I was able to go have lunch before heading back to Kino. There were a couple of other ladies who were also waiting for Sweet but it was a very smooth process of just picking the mag up at the Japanese/Chinese book counter.

I was quite impressed that the Japanese manager actually stood at the counter with the queueing customers for quite a long time, explaining to those who came later that there were no more stock for those not in the queue. Then when 2pm finally rolled around, he walked with the customers to the cashier and handed the magazine to each of them in turn very politely.

Some might think that it did not make much sense to make the customers in the queue wait until 2pm (seems like some had started queueing before 12pm) but it is actually a very Japanese thing to make the rules in advance (e.g. release of the mags only at 2pm and limited to 1 copy per customer, no phone reservations) and to stick to them so as to be fair to everyone. If you wanted a copy, then you just had to get to the store early and queue, instead of just hoping for an easy way out like begging anonymous strangers on Cozycot to help you buy a copy... hello, you think people so free to go queue for you? Get real! Queueing up for stuff is something that happens in Japan all the time, like with the highly sought after limited edition makeup items. So those patient enough to wait got their reward in the end. And for those who got left out, there will be other more easily attainable material goods to satisfy you. The next issue of Steady comes with a Beams (Japanese fashion brand) tote bag.


A pretty good buy is the Marc by Marc Jacobs mook (S$27.50) which Kino currently has tons of stock of. The bag, which is made of cotton and polyester, has a very cute apple and heart print and is incredibly roomy. It is much sturdier and more well-made than the Tsumori Chisato bag that came with Nonno (there are also still some copies of this left).




The magazine features the fall/winter '09 clothing and accessories collection. It also has an inside look into the Marc Jacobs office in New York.




11 comments:

Jessi said...

Wow..i didn't know that some magazines are so limited that we need to queue to get it. I got a Patricia Field for Propotion bag with the puchase of SWAK from Kino. It's clothe tote. Maybe you saw it before? I really like reading your blog, simple but informative! i'm a sucker for GWP magazines too.. =)

kuri said...

yeah, I agree. So far the Marc Jacobs Mook has been by far the best value in my opinion, with the Anna Sui case coming in second. The Marc Jacobs bag is just really nice quality and useful; I'm quite tempted to buy a backup :P
That Beams tote and the Jill by Jill Stuart cosmetic case look really nice though.

Haru said...

Hi Jessi,
Glad to hear that you enjoy the blog! I saw the SWAK magazine. I think people were rushing to get the Steady and InRed magazines this month only because of the Agnes B and Marc Jacobs GWPs. It's the brand name at a relatively cheap price tag, more than anything else. These happened to be magazines that Kino usually brings in very few copies of, hence the need to queue.

makeupmag said...

I love the MJ tote; it's so big! :) Thanks for posting, I'll go see if they still have the Anna Sui today.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the MJ pics, I am still considering this mook. Is the material of the MJ tote similar to the cher one? I have the cher one and I like it very much, especially the smaller one, so cute. If the material is the same, I think I may get this MJ one too. :)

Aya

Haru said...

Hi Aya,
I don't have the Cher tote so I'm not sure if the material of that is the same as the Marc Jacobs one. But the MJ one is definitely worth getting, plus it's less than S$30!

laetitia said...

Hi Aya

I have both the Cher and the MJ totes, and i feel that the MJ cloth material is slightly thicker, hths :)

Lynn Lim said...

Been reading your blog since i started collection GWPs in august. Love it! Thanks to your updates and kenji_sugizo's, i've been able to get the stuffs that i want :)

Serene Lee said...

Hi Haru, just wanna say thanks for sharing these info! I managed to score the In Red! (: picked up other mags that you've talked about as well like nonno and marc jacobs mook.

I find the japanese manager's english very cute! And yup, he's very patient as well, always liked Kino's service.

Anonymous said...

Its a pity, as Steady mag is one of my favs so far, regardless of the agnes b gwp. I realised the "no-reservation" policy is not applicable to Liang Court. Alot of people had pre-reserved those magazines. Fortunately I did that too, so I got my Steady and Sweet mag without having to queue...

I agree with you about those girls who "begged" strangers on cozycot to purchase the mags for them. Its such a turn-off.

Jing, CC

Tracy said...

I've never even seen a Steady magazine.. I had my hopes up when I went to Kino the other day to get the Agnes B bag. God knows that there was a 2 hour queue! Wow! Yeah, and waiting 2 hours for a magazine is really unheard of.