Thursday 1 July 2010

Maybelline The Falsies Volum'express

Maybelline The Falsies Volum'express is Maybelline's latest volumising mascara which promises a "false lash effect" and 8 times more volume, thanks to its unique flexible wand which lifts and separates lashes.

I purchased this for around US$10 in New York a few weeks ago as I can never resist trying out the latest new drugstore mascaras. As mascaras have to be discarded every three months, I usually prefer to buy drugstore brands rather than splurge on prestige brands.

The applicator brush is slightly curved and flattened somewhat like a spoon, so that when viewed from the top, it looks broader compared to when viewed from the side.

Below is the side-view.

The mascara does build decent length and volume, but it is far from a false lash effect, unless you have very lush lashes to start with (which I certainly do not have). The Blackest Black shade does live up to its name, applying as an inky jet black without any hint of grey. It lasts well over several hours of wear without flaking or smudging.

My main gripe about The Falsies is that it starts to clump when applying the second or third coat and the end result can look more like a spidery mess with the lashes sticking together or small gobs at the tips of the lashes unless you clean out the clumps. For the price, I would say it's a decent mascara but be prepared to work a bit to make it look good.

Compared to the Maybelline Pulse Perfection Waterproof, I prefer Pulse Perfection slightly over The Falsies but neither are really holy grail material for me. You can read my earlier review of Maybelline Pulse Perfection Waterproof here.

Below is the list of ingredients.

15 comments:

Effortgirl said...

Like the mascara, but I was highly distracted by e super thin and sharp eyeliner.

Is that the K-Palette one you're using?

Btw, would like to get your advice. Am on makeup alley but I personally find that e Jap/Korean/Asian brands don't have that many reviews. Other than flowerpod and cozycot, are there any other Asian forums on makeup and skincare?

Lali Amora Beauty Blog said...

My lashes are just like yours... Thanks for this review!...

Haru said...

hi Effortgirl,
Nope, I'm using the Dolly Wink Liquid Liner for this look. I still prefer the Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Liner over the Dolly Wink though.

Aside from Cozycot and Flowerpod, I'm afraid I don't know of any other Asian forums on makeup and skincare that are in English. There are some blogs that cover many Asian brands though. My favourites are Lotuspalace.blogspot.com and fuzkittie.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

hey there iris! love the post on ur recent trip to new york city! i might be heading there myself pretty soon *fingers crossed* and am wondering do u have the addresses for the drugstores in nyc that u went to to get these awesome buys? as this will be my first time setting foot there, TIA!!! :)
-cheryl

Haru said...

hi Cheryl,
You can find drugstores on virtually every street in New York. There are plenty of drugstores like Duane Reade, CVS and Walgreens everywhere. Duane Reade is the most common, I think. Do shop around the various drugstores as some of them get the new collections earlier. There wasn't a particular drugstore that I frequented, I just popped into any that I happened to walk by. There's a Walgreens in Times Square that has quite a large selection of brands.

effortgirl said...

Oh, I'm reading Lotuspalace too, but fuzkittie will be new to me. Thanks for the tip.

I've heard cosme.net is fantastic but it's all in Jap, and can't read Jap, so it's no good to me. Have heard HK forums are pretty good (but have to navigate the traditional Chinese).

Heroine Make Smooth? Have you tried the KATE super sharp eyeliner? I'm a total eyeliner amateur and I'm using that now to achieve a thin line (that I can't get w/ my prev YSL eyeliner). Am sure you might even get a thinner line than me if you use the KATE eyeliner. Can I request a comparison? :)

Haru said...

hi Effortgirl,
I don't own Kate Supersharp eyeliner so I can't compare that with Dolly Wink and Heroine Make. Kathi of LotusPalace loves Kate Supersharp eyeliner though and has used up a few of those. I don't actually want a super thin fine line because such a fine line will not be visible when my eyes are open.

effortgirl said...

Oh well, hope you don't mind me requesting for a review.

Just saw ur review on the Ren skincare, am bulk ordering w/ my frens from ASOS (and sending it back to Singapore). Would you like to join the bulk order? Think of it as fan-love (& compliments on a blog well maintained).

Haru said...

hi,
Thanks for the offer but I don't need anything from ASOS at the moment :-) Got tons of skincare I need to use up first!

denise said...

hi.. can i get this in singapore?

Haru said...

Nope, I don't think it is sold in Singapore but perhaps you can try the Changi duty-free as they sometimes carry the US versions of Maybelline and Revlon products. Another option is to order from drugstore.com.

denise said...

ok. thanks :) hmm.. do you have any recommendations for some good drugstore brand mascara?

Haru said...

Hi,
If you don't mind fibres in your mascara, Heroine Make's Long & Curl Mascara gets positive reviews. Personally, I like Esprique Precious True Black Mascara Volume Separate which is S$31.

denise said...

thanks :) can i get those in SG?

Haru said...

Yup, you can find Heroine Make at Watsons and Esprique Precious at Kose counters in Isetan, Takashimaya or Robinsons.