Saturday 9 April 2011

Almay Wake-Up Hydrating Makeup

Almay's Wake-Up Hydrating Makeup is a mineral foundation that infuses encapsulated water in a luxurious loose powder. The water capsules burst upon contact with the skin for an instantly cooling sensation.

This concept originated with the now defunct Prescriptives' Magic Powder and has been "reincarnated" recently in MAC Magically Cool Liquid Powder and Revlon ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup. I also have an Awake Aqua Trans Powder but rarely used it as it tended to apply patchily. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the Almay Wake-Up foundation as it promises a soft luminous finish with light to medium coverage. Plus it's relatively cheap at around US$11 for 9.9g.

The foundation contains cucumber, aloe vera and green tea extracts while being free of oil, talc and parabens. The SPF13 is on the low side so I would not rely on it solely for sun protection. The dense brush is a good size and much softer than the brushes included with Physicians Formula powders.

I got this in Ivory, the lightest of the 5 shades available. It's a good match for my skintone. It has very refined and subtle tiny micro sparkles to help give that slightly glowy finish (no need to worry about looking like a shiny glitterball). The coverage is on the sheer side and can't cover up the pigmentation on my cheeks. I find that most mineral makeup doesn't give me sufficient coverage, so I wasn't that surprised. Nevertheless, I like to use this powder over a makeup base or sunblock lotion for days when I don't feel like wearing liquid foundation but still want my skin to look more even-toned. The refreshing feeling of the powder is a boon in hot climates like Singapore where one can start sweating barely 10 minutes after stepping out of the shower.

For this look, I'm wearing the Wake-Up Hydrating Makeup over Za True White Plus Instant Brightener SPF30 PA+++. I have to blot about every couple of hours, which is normal for me.


The other products used for this look.

List of ingredients for the Wake-Up Hydrating Makeup, which is made in the US.

5 comments:

Kas said...

Wow, from the swatch and the profile shots, it looks like a great shade match for your skintone! I like the lips in this look :)

Anonymous said...

You don´t know how happy I´m to find someone alse eith the same skin problems. The weather here is very hot and humid, so is hard to find a good makeup base.

val said...

where did you buy? here in singapore?

val said...

hi, do you know where i can get this here in singapore?:) thanks.

Haru said...

I bought this in the US. Almay is not sold in Singapore but perhaps you can try ordering from a US drugstore website and ship through VPost if you are keen on it.