Thursday 9 August 2012

Estee Lauder Violet Underground Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette

For this fall, Estee Lauder goes boldly glam rock with Violet Underground with saturated tones of fuchsia and violet, designed by Tom Pecheaux. The star product is the Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette in Violet Underground (US$48), featuring the same powder gelée formula as the Bronze Sands palette in the earlier summer collection.

These can be used either dry or wet for a lustrous metallic finish but I find the finish is already amazingly pigmented and shimmery when applied dry. Violet Underground consists of a sooty matte black, rose fuschia, rich deep brown, midnight blue and pearl beige, embossed in an undulating lightning bolt zigzag pattern reminiscent of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

The case is Estee Lauder's standard deep violet blue, unlike the gold case of Bronze Sands. Two dual-ended sponge/brush applicators are included. I usually use the sponge applicators to lay down the shades, followed by the brush to blend and smudge.



I purchased Violet Underground during the Nordstrom's recent Anniversary sale, in order to take advantage of the generous gift with purchase offer, which included two credit-card sized palettes of the Pure Color Eyeshadow and Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick, plus Advanced Night Repair, Sumptuous Mascara and Re-Nutriv Ultimate Lift Age-Correcting Creme. The accompanying pouch feels extremely cheap and flimsy though.

For this look, I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance as the base and layered the brown shade from the inner two-third of the upper lid, the blue shade in the outer one-third, the beige shade over the browbone area, inner corners and lower lashline, and the black shade along the upper lashline. I used the brush to blend the brown shade in the crease and the outer corner of the lower lashline.

I found all the shades to be well-pigmented and easy to apply, with the brown being the most richly pigmented with a lovely gleam. The beige shade has a soft satin finish, and zero frostiness.



The other products used for this look: Lancome Blush Subtil Palette 158 Peche Savvy and L'Absolu Creme de Mat 100 Potion D'Amour, Dior Diorskin Forever Compact 023 over Paul & Joe Protective Foundation Primer UV, Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes in Blackest Black, Lunasol Under Eyes Base, K-Palette Lasting 2Way Eyebrow and Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen No. 1 Black Noir.

For the second look, I applied the blue shade along the upper lashline, the pink in the inner half of the crease, the brown in the outer half of the crease and the lower lashline, the beige over the browbone area and along the lower lashline.

There was a bit of creasing at the inner corners after eight hours, but otherwise the eyeshadows held up quite nicely. Violet Underground feels incredibly modern and chic, an interesting breakaway from Estee Lauder's usual conservative image and truly outstanding in the sea of fall collections. I don't know if this collection will be available in Singapore. It will be released on 10 August in Japan where the palette will retail at 6615yen (US$84).

The rest of the makeup is the same, except on the lips, I'm wearing Shiseido Lacquer Rouge RD607 Nocturne.

List of ingredients.

15 comments:

Jane said...

Wow! The e/s shades look beautiful and intense on your eyes. Tom Pecheux is doing an incredible job for Estee Lauder.

Sara Kye said...

Such lovely colors and side-tracking but that red lip color looks so lovely on you!

Red Lips, Black Hair said...

Beautiful palette! Love how it looks on you!

Lauren said...

I love the first look, so classic and you look so pretty!

Jolyn said...

Hi Haru, this look is hands-down, my favourite one of you in your recent LOTDs!

The palette is gorgeous, and I might just be tempted enough to put in an order myself. I currently am very intrigued by the formula.

germs said...

i must say the choice of colours from estee is getting more exciting these days! this is an incredibly beautiful palette, and i'm real tempted to get the shiseido lacquer rouge in nocturne too :)

Jacqueline said...

The eye palette is really something, I am in love with the rich colours and pigmentation. You did a lovely job with the fotd, I totally love your look.

The Driveller Kate said...

This palette is stunning on you, as is Nocturne! I'm so very ready for autumn <3

Kas said...

This is awesome awesome; love the looks and I must get my hands on at least one of those Shiseido lacquers!

Emilie at Cogitation Project said...

Hi! I've considered this palette and passes on it twice (knocks head!). Seeing your eotd makes me really question my decision making skills! Anyway, here's to me hoping they still have this available in store. Thanks for the awesome post :)

Haru said...

hi Emilie,
You're very much welcome, I hope you are still able to find it!

hi Kas,
Thanks, do try the Shiseido lacquers - the color intensity is amazing although it's not moisturising.

hi Kate,
thank you! Same here, I can't wait for the weather to turn cooler.

hi Jacqueline,
thank you, that's so sweet!

hi germs,
Pecheux is doing such a great job of revamping Estee Lauder, I hope he stays with them for a long time.

hi Jolyn,
thanks, it's quite a versatile palette so well worth the price for me.

hi Lauren,
thank you!

hi red lips,
thanks!

hi Sara,
thank you, do check out the Shiseido lacquer rouge if you have the chance!

hi Jane,
thanks, I was impressed by how well they wore as well.

D... said...

You're too great, I got the EL email yesterday and was looking for a review. I really want this now.

Thanks for the review and fantastic look!!!
Best,
D

Memoiselle said...

You really look gorgeous in that make up look! I like that red lips :) Usually I am not attracted to Estee Lauder's product but this palette is really something :)

Katina said...

Hi Iris

What hair color are you using now? I like the effect it has on your hair?

When are you coming back to Singapore? I miss reading about you attending events and beauty shows!! :)

Haru said...

hi Katina,
I'm using Schwarzkopf Perfect Mousse #688 Rouge Bordeaux, but the color has severely faded since I used it in April.
http://rougedeluxe.blogspot.ch/2012/04/new-hair-color-with-schwarzkopf-perfect.html

I'm not going back to Singapore for the next few years, not sure if I will still be blogging by the time I do! You can still read about blogger events in Singapore on several great blogs like Makeupstash.com, Joeychong.wordpress.com and icyabstract.onsugar.com.