Saturday 22 May 2010

New houseguests

My mother is away for a few months visiting my brother in the UK and so she left me in charge of watering her plants. That was a simple enough task until one night when I came home from work to find this weird brown sack of fluff hanging off one of the plants.


Turns out that a pair of olive-backed sunbirds had decided that my balcony was the perfect place for building their new nest. Perhaps because we have a hibiscus plant that flowers almost every day as they drink the nectar of hibiscus plants, as well as heliconias.

Here's one of the birds flying back with more stuff for building their nest.

The avian couple.

You're welcome to enjoy the view but please don't peck me or poop all over the place, ok?

10 comments:

. : * justine * : . said...

How cool! Although it kind of freaks me out when birds fly near/at me so I'd probably watch them from the safety of my couch... with the doors closed XD.

Haru said...

hey justine,
I am not an animal lover so I was a bit freaked out at first. At least it's not a hornets' nest or bee nest! I keep the balcony sliding doors mostly drawn now, so there are no unpleasant surprises on both sides :-)

p chan said...

oh! Haru, they say it's good luck when birds come to build their nest in your home :)

shows that your home is safe and welcoming :D

shopaholic said...

i agree with p chan. it will be nice to hear birds chirping sometimes, hope that it won't be too annoying.

Anonymous said...

charming! -stella

Anonymous said...

yeah i agree with p chan. Bird don't just anyhow build nest at anyone's home. You are so lucky! Maybe can buy some toto or 4d, see if you strike hehe, i know of someone who does and strike until the bird decide to move house :(

Haru said...

hi,
Yeah, my neighbour also told me it's good luck and that I should go buy 4D. But that's not really my thing, so am just going to enjoy the little birds' company.

Cam said...

its not everyday you get such visitors and further more in Singapore!
go buy lottery!!!! :DDDD

Eliza said...

Oh, they're so cute! I had a pair of the same type of sunbirds build their nest outside my hostel room window, years ago when I was in university. They were very cheerful window-mates!

Vichaya said...

Oh.... that's so pretty. I wish I get such a lovely new neighbor. ;)

Enjoy natural song every morning. :)