Saturday 18 December 2010

Hourglass Cosmetics Review

Hourglass Cosmetics sent me some of their products earlier this month to review.

First up is the Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner (S$47) which is a waterproof eyeliner that comes in three shades, Indigo, Ebony and Cognac. I was sent Cognac, which is a true jet black. The eyeliner has an unusual felt tip applicator that the eyeliner liquid flows naturally into, similar to Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Liner, so there is no button to push or rotate. The eyeliner is infused with rosemary, perilla, chamomile and aloe extracts for moisturising benefits and pearl protein for an anti-inflammatory effect.

The felt tip applicator takes a bit of practice to get used to in order to draw a precise line. It draws a pigmented jet black line from the very first stroke without any dragging of the fragile eyelid. I usually layer two or three times to ensure that the edges are smooth and that the liner is thick enough to still be visible when my eyes are open.

In terms of lasting power, there was a bit of creasing near the lash roots at the end of a 12-hour day, but it does last through 6 to 8 hours quite well.

Here's the ingredients list.

The Femme Rouge in Grace (S$44) is a creamy beige that doesn't quite sit right with my skintone (I think it needs a touch of brown to be more flattering). It has good colour payoff and looks best on well-exfoliated/moisturised lips as otherwise, it can go on slightly patchy and accentuate the dry patches. The lipstick case looks and feels quite luxurious (and a tad weighty) with the brand name engraved.

The lipstick contains conditioning Vitamin E and other antioxidants, while being free of parabens, sulfates and phthlates. Below is the ingredients list.

I was also provided with two sample shades each of the Illusion Tinted Moisturizer (S$80) and Veil Fluid Makeup (S$87). The pic below shows Illusion in Ivory on the left and Veil in No. 1 Ivory on the right. Unfortunately, both turned out to be just a tad dark for my skintone, which is likely to be more suited to Shell for Illusion and No.0 Porcelain for Veil. I was surprised that Veil has a more watery texture than Illusion, which felt more like a foundation to me than a tinted moisturiser. Veil also seems to have a tendency to separate, so it's best to shake the bottle before pumping it out. Of the two, I preferred Veil Fluid Makeup as it provided a more seamless finish. Both were pretty good at evening out my skintone and required blotting about every two hours.

The pic below is with Veil Fluid Makeup No.1 Ivory and Femme Rouge in Grace. The silicone-based Veil has SPF15 and is free of oil, fragrance and parabens. It contains Vitamins A and E, plus Matrixyl to help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

The pic below is with Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Ivory and Femme Rouge in Grace. Illusion also has SPF15 and is free of oil, fragrance and parabens. It contains Instalift, a natural plant-based glycopeptide to enhance skin firmness, and hyaluronic spheres for hydration.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find the Retractable Foundation Brush (S$61) in my package. I haven't tried it out yet but the synthetic bristles feel incredibly smooth and soft with a good density. The brush is made in China.

You can find Hourglass Cosmetics at Sephora Ion Orchard and True Colors in Ngee Ann City.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think that beige pink lipstick color looks fine on you. I'd pair it with a a slightly darker eye, though.

Jolyn said...

Yes, IA! Grace looks lovely on you, the price however :S

Blovet Beauty said...

u look gd with the veil fluid makeup.. I've never tried hourglas before, but I would like too after reading your review.

Anonymous said...

What eyeshadow are you wearing for this post? It's beautiful!

Haru said...

Hi,
Sorry but I can't really remember which palette I used! It is probably a Jill Stuart palette.

Izzati said...

Hi! I'm Izzati from Malaysia.
I planned to go to SG maybe next week. Can you suggest me where the places that sell a good quality makeup or makeup that are not available in Malaysia. Thanks. :)

Haru said...

hi,
I recommend checking out Sephora, which has Urban Decay, Too Faced, Pop Beauty, Hourglass, Fred Farrugia etc. (Ion Orchard has the largest store. The smaller ones are at Ngee Ann City, Great World City and Marina Bay Sands.) Most of the department stores in Singapore carry brands that are already available in Malaysia (like Anna Sui, Paul & Joe etc) but Tangs, Takashimaya and Isetan in Orchard Road are nice places to shop at for high-end brands. There is also Watsons where you can find many Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese beauty brands. The one in Ngee Ann City is the best.