Saturday 17 January 2009

Barbie x Stila

As you may have heard by now, Stila has collaborated with Mattel to launch a Barbie collection, currently exclusively on Sephora.com with more items to be launched in the fall. Here are some pics form the press event in Japan from the Voce website.


From what I can read from the small plastic sign, there will be a makeup set that probably includes the hair scrunchie, the face powder in the round cardboard packaging, a pink lip balm, the makeup bag and a three-pan palette. Makeup pouches are a huge money spinner for beauty companies in Japan as these typically retail for around US$20 to US$50. depending on the size, and probably cost a buck to manufacture in China! With any luck, these may very well show up at discounted prices on Beautycrunch.com where several Japanese-exclusive Stila products such as the CanCam palette can be found for less than half of the Japan retail price.



Personally, I'm not that excited about the Barbie collection although like many girls, I was a big fan of Barbie as a child. If I had an unlimited budget and display space, I would love to collect vintage Barbie dolls. I already own enough Stila palettes to last me a lifetime and the shades in the Barbie palettes do not look that exciting to me. Nevertheless, one can expect the Stila Barbie collection to sell out in a flash like the MAC x Barbie collection did last year.

No comments: