Monday 15 February 2010

Lush Buffy Body Butter

I picked up Lush Buffy Body Butter on one of my trips to New Delhi last year. Fomerly known hilariously as Buffy the Backside Slayer, it is actually an exfoliating scrub that you use in the shower that leaves your skin deeply moisturised thanks to the cocoa and shea butters in it. The exfoliating bits are made of ground rice, almonds and beans and are on the more abrasive side, excellent for getting rid of flakey skin.

Buffy does take some getting used to if you're more accustomed to leaving the shower feeling squeaky clean. Hence, some reviewers on MakeupAlley said that they actually prefer to follow up Buffy with a soap or shower gel. I use a shower gel first to cleanse, and then I spread a small chunk of Buffy over my drier areas like my arms and legs and then work it in with my hands before rinsing off. The slab is quite soft so I break off a small chunk to use each time rather than risk having the whole slab fall apart in the shower.

Some people may not like the buttery feeling that Buffy leaves on the skin after rinsing off but I liked how it leaves my skin soft and moisturised with a slightly glowy sheen but without feeling sticky. It does not feel as greasy and heavy as the Body Shop's Body Butters, but it is definitely more moisturising than Body Shop's Body Purees.

Overall, I still prefer the sweeter blackcurrant scent of You Snap The Whip (another Lush Body Butter) to the cocoa butter scent of Buffy but Buffy does what it is supposed to do very well, as attested to by its 80% "would re-purchase" rating on MakeupAlley. It is somewhat pricey but you are getting two products in one. I'm often too lazy to apply body moisturiser after showering (even if my dry skin starts itching!) so this product is perfect for me. I paid 560 rupees (S$17) for a 90g slice, which will probably last about 10-15 uses. In the UK, it costs £5 (about S$11) for the same size.

4 comments:

Kiradris said...

Lol, I've been lemming this ever since it came out because I was a huge fan of the Buffy TV show - gimmicky names get me.

Haru said...

hi Kiradris,
I'm a huge fan of the Buffy TV series too! Lost count of the number of times I've re-watched it now :-)

BV said...

I am such an insane lemming that I went out and bought this today! I got the Big Buffy as I hate dry skin and too lazy to give myself a good moisturising treatment after my shower.

I think Buffy the Backside Slayer is probably the best Lush name EVER!

Thank you so much for posting this!
BV

Haru said...

hi BV,
Buffy is really a nifty 2-in-1 product for lazy ladies like us! :-) Hope it works out well for you too!