Tuesday 1 June 2010

Lancome Erika F. Eyeshadow & Dior X4 Control Compact Foundation

Lancome G40 Erika F. eyeshadow is almost legendary on MakeupAlley, thanks to its unavailability in the (due to one of the ingredients). You can read the raves on two of my favourite beauty blogs, Blogdorf Goodman and Pink Sith.

I purchased it as part of a big Lancome haul over a month ago but only got around to trying it out yesterday.

On me, it applies as a silver-tinged smokey olive. The colour payoff is pretty good, when applied with the included sponge tip applicator. I used it from the upper lashline to the crease and along the lower lashline, with Bobbi Brown Metallic Long-wear Cream Shadow in Opal as the base, and the light green shade from Lunasol Sheer Contrast Eyes EX01 Blue Green Coral in the crease.

I also used Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Liner and Lancome Virtuose Precious Cell mascara.

Having finished off my RMK Powder Foundation EX 101 and giving up on Maquillage Lasting Powdery UV EX, I decided to return to Dior X4 Control Compact Foundation, which I purchased some time last year but only used once or twice since then. That was not because I disliked it, but simply because I was trying to use up some of my older foundations like the RMK and Benefit Hello Flawless. The X4 Control, which has SPF20 PA++, promises to control sebum, cover pores and provide UV protection. It is also water-resistant. I was deliberating between this and the Diorsnow whitening powder foundation and eventually decided on X4 Control because it is more suited to my skin concerns of oilyness and pores.

I applied it with the Body Shop kabuki brush, which I love for achieving a seamless finish. The shade 012 Porcelain is an excellent match for my skin. (For reference, I am usually the second lightest shade for most foundations. I am around MAC NC25, Stila 02 Light, RMK 101, Maquillage PO10/OC10, Clarins 1.5 Tender Beige, Armani 4, Revlon Photoready 002 Vanilla, Diorsnow Sublissime 020 and Jill Stuart 101.)

The Dior X4 Control truly impressed me because yesterday morning was a disaster of sorts when my car battery died and I was running around trying to get it fixed. As usual, it was hot and extremely humid, so I was half expecting the foundation to melt off and my skin to get very oily. However, after three hours (which included doing housework while waiting for the car repair guy), only my T-zone was showing some mild shine that was easily blotted away. The coverage was also good and helped to even out my skintone. Think this will become my new staple!

14 comments:

Pinky said...

Dear Haru,
I've been reading your beauty blog and hear various comments on foundation used :)
i am curious..can u pls help me?
1. so which is still your top favorite foundation? is it P/J, i know it's one of your favorite!
2. this look with Dior X4 Control Compact Foundation is really the PRETTIEST! :) looks flawless and bring out your radiance and glow
3. so you top off your Dior X4 foundation with P/J Loose powder right? i saw a tube at right side of your photo

thanks!

watercoloursky said...

That Dior foundation sounds pretty amazing! When I was in Singapore my foundation was pretty much sliding off my face, not a pretty sight lol :D

Haru said...

Hi Pinky,
My favourite foundations currently are Maquillage Lasting Stick foundation and thr Dior X4 powder foundation. For cream foundation, I like Bourjois Mineral Matte. Lancome Maquicake UV is also a good powder foundation.

I have tried a few P&J liquid and creamy compact foundations but they don't work well for me as the oil control is not good. P&J foundations look best on people with good skin!

For this look, I actually didn't put any loose powder on top of the Dior X4 as I liked how the Dior foundation looked by itself. The P&J loose powder tub was just used to prop up the other products in the photo!

Pinky said...

Hey Haru
Thanks, now i am tempted to get Dior X4 powder foundation but i need to finish my current Covermark foundation first. too many haha and the girls at cozycot are also raving how good SK2 foundie is :P

Tiffany said...

Hi Haru
Have you tried RMK loose powder? :) Heard it's soft, finely milled and goes on gentle on skin with coverage.
Thanks

. : * justine * : . said...

I love the finish of this foundation - your skin looks SO good, and your pores look so tiny! Will need to check this out - I want to try a powder foundation - hopefully it's not an Asia exclusive!

Anonymous said...

interesting, i never knew the erika f i picked up on a whim eons ago in the round color focus holder has become so coveted...-stella

Haru said...

hi Tiffany,
I haven't tried RMK loose powder before but I'm sure it's pretty good as RMK is famous for its base makeup.

hey justine,
My pores don't look tiny but thanks! The Dior X4 foundation does help to conceal my pores somewhat. I don't know if it is an Asia exclusive though.

hi Stella,
Erika F is actually quite easily available outside of the US, I think. It's the silver paillette pearl ingredient in it that is not allowed in the US, if I recall correctly. Not sure why that is the case.

Jasmine said...

Oh dear, before I could lay my hands on the Maquillage Lasting Stick, now I've another option which is Dior X4! :o Really appreciate your sharing coz it saves me time and $$$ doing all the trial & error. :)

Unknown said...

hihi haru,

i really like Lancome G40 Erika F. eyeshadow but i went ovr to the counter n was told tt it's sold out ler...wondering if there is any similar eyeshadow which looks like Lancome G40 Erika F. eyeshadow tt u would recommend?thx alot! =)

Unknown said...

Ur skin looks v good in this foundation! I m v tempted. How much is the dior powder foundation? Wonder wat would be a good match for NC25-30..

Haru said...

hi Rene,

I can't remember how much the Dior foundation costs but it should be around S$60+ to S$70+.

hi Leechie,
Erika F is quite unique, so perhaps you should try other Lancome counters in Singapore. There is a similar shade in Lancome Ombre Absolue Palette C10 Renaissance Printaniere palette as well.
http://rougedeluxe.blogspot.com/2010/04/lancome-blanc-expert-mineral-liquid.html

Amigo said...

Hi, i'm so tempted by your review about the the Dior Foundation. Is it still available at Dior counters in Singapore?

Thanks!=)

Haru said...

hi,
Yes, you can find the foundation at all Dior counters in Singapore.