Saturday 15 October 2011

Liberty Hello Kitty Hello Eyes Eye Shadow Compact

When I first saw preview pics of the Liberty Hello Kitty Hello Eyes Eye Shadow Compact (£8) online a couple of months ago, it stole my heart instantly with the cheerful purple packaging with accents of teal and pale yellow.

The cover has a papery texture, which I think may not be that hardy or stain-resistant. The compact is fairly slim and lightweight, about the same size as a MAC quad but slightly thicker.

It contains eight powder eyeshadows in satin and shimmery finishes, plus a small eyeshadow brush. The amount of product is generous at 6g, which is equivalent to four MAC eyeshadow singles. The individual pans are of a good size and allow for easy access. The brush does a decent job without feeling scratchy but I noticed one bristle shedding on my second use of the palette.


For the first look, I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance to prime the lids and then applied the turquoise shade along the upper lashline, the dark purple shade at the outer "V" and outer half of the lower lashline, the creamy white shade over the browbone area and along the lower lashline, and the light taupe shade in the crease.

Next, I lined the upper lashline with Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Retrograde (please excuse the messy job!) and applied Benefit They're Real! Mascara.

The eyeshadows had decent colour payoff and were easy to blend. Applied over Shadow Insurance, they lasted quite well over more than 8 hours of wear though I did get a bit of creasing at the inner corners. Most of the shades have a soft glimmer or refined shimmer and did not produce excessive powder kick up when touched with the brush. Only the greyish charcoal shade has more obvious silver glitter bits.

Other products used for this look include: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua B20 Beige Tendre, By Terry Touch Expert Advanced Ultra Radiance Active Concealer #3, Liberty x Hello Kitty Lipgloss in Natural, Za Ever Brows BR21 and Giorgio Armani Blushing Fabric #1 Shimmering Peach.

The Hello Kitty lipglosses feel quite moisturising and provide a nice glossiness but I did not like the artificial candy scent. It takes several dips of the doe-foot sponge applicator into the tube to get enough product for one application. The lipglosses generally last about 2-3 hours on me, with touch-ups required after a meal.

For the second look, I applied the olive shade along the upper lashline, the grey charcoal shade in the outer half of the crease, the light taupe in the inner half of the crease and the light pink shade over the browbone area and along the lower lashline.

I added Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Siren along the upper lashline for a pop of colour and finished by applying Benefit They're Real! Mascara and Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara.

Other products used for this look include: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua B20 Beige Tendre, Paul & Joe Pressed Powder #3, By Terry Touch Expert Advanced Ultra Radiance Active Concealer #3, Liberty x Hello Kitty Lipgloss in Light Pink, Za Ever Brows BR21 and Giorgio Armani Blushing Fabric #1 Shimmering Peach.

I like the seamless coverage of the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation but unfortunately, it seems to be breaking me out. I am loving the Armani Blushing Fabric #1. It doesn't show up well in these photos but in real life, it gives the perfect kiss of healthy pink to the cheeks. It is much more idiot-proof than #5 Raspberry which is more pigmented.

Of the four shades in the Liberty Hello Kitty lipgloss set, I like Light Pink the least as it looks a tad frosty on me.

Overall, I think the Hello Eyes Eye Shadow Compact is a nice palette to have but more of a collectible for Hello Kitty or Liberty fans as its main appeal is the whimsical packaging. The shades are not fantastically unique or intensely pigmented but they are easy to wear and offer good variety, without being too outlandish.

6 comments:

kuri said...

very cute looks!
The packaging is charming.

MaquiLab said...

Love everything Helo Kitty, no exception here :)

Fruity Lashes said...

So cute!

Light Love said...

Hello Kitty! <3
I love the look you did with it too; esp your lips! Super pretty FOTD :)

effortgirl said...

Love the look!

I was going to order the eye shadow compact along w my Hello Kitty Liberty stuff, but now after reading your reviews I don't know... It does seem a bit ex if I don't use the eyeshadow (and just use it to repot my other eyeshadows in so I can have a pretty eyeshadow compact).

Does the eye shadow last longer if u use an eyeshadow primer e.g. UD?

Hmm... need to think abt it before I order from UK to Sg. Thanks! P.s. I'm following u on twitter... this is @effortgirl.

Haru said...

Hi effortgirl,
For these looks, i used Too Faced Shadow Insurance as the primer before applying the eyeshadows and the eyeshadows lasted quite well over many hours of wear. Shadow Insurance works just as well as UD Primer Potion for me and definitely using a primer helps the eyeshadows to stay longer. I don't think you can easily depot the eyeshadow pans from the Hello Kitty case without damaging the case though. The palette isn't that expensive for 8 eyeshadows but you should only get it if you like the shades.