Wednesday 19 October 2011

Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Lipstick

While browsing at Monoprix in Nice last weekend, I was surprised to discover the new Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Lipsticks. The collection comprises seven creamy shades designed by Kate Moss, to mark her 10th year as a Rimmel spokesmodel. The shades are supposedly inspired by the timeless classic shades that Moss favours. A few Glam'Eyes HD palettes with the Union Jack flag design were also on display but the design looked a tad impractical as some of the pans are tiny.

The velvety smooth, creamy texture of the Lasting Finish lipsticks impressed me immediately when I swatched the testers. Encased in matte black plastic packaging, the lipsticks have outstanding color payoff for a drugstore brand.

Made in the UK, the lipsticks have a sweet vanilla fragrance but no discernible taste. It's a pity that the shades lack individual names, which always add more personality and resonance to a shade.

Although there are only supposed to be 7 shades, it seems like different shades are actually released in various countries. Hence, the UK got #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 12. But in France, I found #9, a lovely berry red which does not have the orange base of #1 (the shade that Moss wears in the ad). I also picked up #2, a hot pink that reminded me of Guerlain Rouge Automatique #165. In the pic below, #2 is on the left and #9 is on the right.

Today, I wore #2, which glided on very smoothly. Given how intense it is, it is better to use a lip brush for more precise application. It took several presses with a tissue to clean it off completely before a lunch. Similarly, when I wiped off the swatches on my hand with tissue, the lipsticks left pink stains on my skin that required additional cleansing with soap.

The shade was still going strong after about 5 hours of wear although my lips did start to feel a tad dry after about 2 hours, as I'm more accustomed to wearing lipglosses. If you have very chapped or peeling lips, it is best to exfoliate the lips first and apply some lip balm underneath so that the lipstick does not show up the flakes and dry patches.

Overall, I think the Lasting Finish Lipsticks are great value for money if you are looking for creamy, pigmented lipsticks that won't break the bank. In the UK, these retail at £5.49 each. In France, they are 9.50€ normally but I paid just 14€ (about S$24.50) for the two lipsticks due to a promotional offer at Monoprix.

You can see more swatches on Le Petit Jardin de Liloo and Beaut.ie.

10 comments:

LauraLeia said...

Both the colours are gorgeous! Wonder if they'll be available in M'sia... :/

Jamilla Camel said...

I just LOVE these lippies! I've got 4 8 and 12, and they go on like silk! Those colours look gorgeous on you!

Jacqueline said...

The colours are creamy and gorgeous looking! Are they available in Singapore?

Fiona Star said...

thanks for the review! the matte black and red casing looks really cool and the colours look so vivid and smooth. i'm definitely checking them out soon! the berry pink looks really flattering on you!

Haru said...

hi Jacqueline,
I'm not sure if the collection will be available in Singapore. It was only just released in the UK and France.

kuri said...

that looks fantastic on you!

Loi said...

The color looks vibrant!!! Love it!!!

www.laestetica.com.ph
www.squidoo.com/get-to-know-dr-almond-derla

macaroon said...

Both colours looks gorgeous on you!

Vivian said...

Hi Haru, those lipsticks look lovely. :-)Hope they'll be available in Singapore in time to come!

I have one comment and don't mean to offend in any way.. I think you drawn your eyebrows way too long. A slightly shorter one will be the perfect length and make you look more youthful :-)

makeupmag said...

Your lips look incredibly smooth! You have very nice lips to showcase lipsticks. :) I don't and I've seen some that've made me shudder. :P