Sunday 16 October 2011

New Hair Color with Schwarzkopf Brillance

My abundance of grey hairs was bothering me again so I picked up two boxes of Schwarzkopf Brillance Creme Colorante Intensive yesterday. It has been six months since I last colored my hair with Liese Bubble Hair Color Cassis Berry and my roots were also showing quite distinctly. I knew I really should have waited until I got home next week to have my mother do a proper job for me but as usual, when I get a whim about doing something with my hair, I do it pretty much immediately.

And of course, silly me only realised while editing the photos AFTER coloring my hair that I had picked a shade that only provides 30% coverage of grey hair (doh!). As usual, I went for the brightest red that I could find, which in this case was #845 Rouge Brocart from the Schwarzkopf Brillance line, which purports to retain 90% of the color intensity after 30 washes.

In the box, you get an applicator bottle filled with developer lotion, a tube of Creme Colorante, a conditioner and a pair of plastic gloves.

The instructions were simple enough: simply squeeze the Creme Colorante into the applicator bottle, shake it and apply, and then leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing off and using the conditioner.


After shaking the bottle, the solution turns orange. Given the length of my hair, I usually need at least 2 boxes.

Below is the "before" shot of my hair.

And this is the result after leaving the dye on for close to an hour. The dye did not sting my scalp at all during the application process although the ammonia did make my eyes sting a little if the gloves came within close proximity. It was easy to wipe off the bits of dye that got on my hands and skin around the hairline with a cotton pad soaked in Bioderma Sebium H2O Micellar Solution. After washing off the dye, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the dye did not stain my scalp, as most conventional permanent dyes do. It also did not leave my hair feeling extra dry or frizzier than usual.

By some stroke of serendipity, I ended up with brighter streaks of red around my fringe and the sides of my face, probably because some of the locks there were lighter to begin with. It looks like I had highlights done, despite the fact that I had basically just slapped the dye on without even using a dye brush.


Naturally, it's a far from perfect job and I can already picture my mother groaning and making her usual sighs of disapproval when she examines the job closely. Aside from the low coverage of the grey hairs (as can be seen in the pic below), much of the hair on the back of my head did not get dyed as evenly as the hair around the crown and sides.

It is definitely much, much better to have someone help you apply the dye with a flat brush and go through methodically layer by layer in order to achieve a more even result. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the final colour!

7 comments:

sesame said...

Looks really nice...I like how glossy your hair looks now. I just cannot get down to coloring my own hair. I tried once though but it was very half-hearted and I only colored the roots. Really a "chicken" in this department!

Haru said...

Thanks, Sesame! It's definitely better to get professional help when it comes to coloring hair. My mother used to be a hairdresser, so she always does my hair for me.

Anonymous said...

I really love the result, the red highlights are gorgeous. :)

Jamilla Camel said...

I really love the colour, and to be honest, there's not much to do to cover the remaining greys! I seem to get greys only around my face so I can usually get away with Clairol root touchup between salon visits. In fact, I think I have a Widows Peak...

Mai said...

the results are nice (:

CMPang x
http://maisecrets.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Looks great do you know of an online supplier?

Haru said...

I'm afraid I don't know of any websites selling this.