Saturday 7 August 2010

Sephora by OPI Metro Chic

Just re-did my nails with Sephora by OPI in Metro Chic, which is a popular shade among beauty bloggers. When it was first introduced on Sephora.com, it kept selling out quickly and then going for inflated prices on Ebay. I picked this up during my honeymoon in Honolulu back in March. Yes, it takes me awhile to get around to trying out my new purchases sometimes. I still have yet to try out the NARS Purple Rain nail polish that I bought on that trip too.

The Sephora by OPI range is very affordable at US$9 for a 15ml bottle. The formula is free of DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde. Sephora describes it as an "opaque dark smoke with a hint of purple". On me, it looks like a purple-toned grey. I found the Metro Chic formula to be slightly watery and it needed three coats instead of the usual two for a truly opaque finish. The first coat was highly translucent unless you don't skim off the excess nailpolish against the bottle opening before applying. Nevertheless, it does apply smoothly and even when I was layering on the third coat, there was no uneven clumping.

Metro Chic looks similar to Chanel's Particuliere and You Don't Know Jacques from the OPI line-up. I don't own Particuliere and Jacques and so can't really compare the three but I'm sure you can find shade comparisons on other blogs.


6 comments:

p chan said...

Hi Haru! That looks so pretty on your nails! And your application skills are improving!!! :)

vonnay said...

Hi Haru

I got my friend to buy "Metro Chic" and "Run With It!" for me when she visited NYC last year. I agree that "Metro Chic" needs 3 layers instead of the normal 2 to reach an opaque finish.

I wonder when Sephora S'pore is going to bring in the Sephora by OPI nail polishes!

effortgirl said...

Hi, I adore that shade. Hopefully, it might look the same on me if I do get it.

Just to check, the brush itself is identical to the brushes in the pure OPI (for OPI) bottles, right?

I can't remember where I read but I remember someone telling me her theory of how some companies will change certain aspects of the items e.g. length of brush etc with special collections. Thanks to let me know!

Lisa said...

I have both Metro Chic and Particuliere but I've yet to use Particuliere. Same condition as you I guess :P I love metro chic though! Even though it's watery, at least it's easy to apply!

Haru said...

hi effortgirl,
The brush for the Sephora by OPI range is thinner but about the same length as the OPI range. The OPI brush is thicker and broader, so you cover more of the nail in one stroke than the Sephora by OPI brush.

Unknown said...

Hi Haru,

Ive't been following your blog for quite sometime. that's a nice shade.

Thanks for sharing :)