Wednesday 8 December 2010

Sleek Bad Girl i-Divine Palette

Thanks to Kas (of Shine, Shimmer & Sparkle), I was able to obtain the Sleek Bad Girl i-Divine Palette palette that was released in late October. Retailing at just £5.99 (about S$12.50), the palette is currently sold out on Sleek's website so I was really glad that Kas was able to help me order this through a spree.

According to the Sleek website, "Bad Girl contains strong and deep shades which allow one to uncover their hidden fantasies. This palette can be extreme, powerful, confident as well as sensual." The slim compact palette comes with a dual-ended sponge applicator. A plastic sheet overlay is printed with the names of the various shades.

Top row (left to right): Innocence, Gullible, Blade
Bottom row: Intoxicated, Envy, Obnoxious

Top row: Gun Metal, Underground, Noir
Bottom row: Abyss, Twilight, Rebel

The shades in this palette are certainly not for the faint of heart or shy shrinking violets! Most of the mineral-based eyeshadows are wonderfully intense and richly pigmented, perfect for creating a variety of smoky eye looks.

The texture is slightly powdery and there was quite a bit of fallout during the application process. So it's best to do your eye makeup first before base makeup when using this palette as it's likely that you will have to do quite a bit of cleanup of the fallout on your cheeks and under-eye area afterwards.

With a dozen shades in one compact palette, one is really spoilt for choice with these Sleek palettes. The eyeshadow pans are also just the right size, not so large that you'll despair of ever hitting pan but also not so tiny that you'll have difficulty getting your brush into them. Each eyeshadow pan is 0.03oz/1.1g.

Using Beauté de Kosé Eye Fantasist GR751 Dew Green as the base, I used the sponge applicator to apply Twilight from the inner corner to the middle of the lid and Underground from the middle to the outer corner of the lid. Next, I used a small eyeshadow brush to apply Blade just above the crease and Obnoxious along the outer half of the lower lashline. Using a larger eyeshadow brush, I applied Gullible over the browbone area and along the lower lashline, and Innocence at the inner corners.

Next, I lined the upper lashline with Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Liner and applied Visee Lash Wide Impact (Curl Long) BK002 mascara.

For the rest of the look, I used Skin79 Lovely Girl BB Cream topped with a Paul & Joe face powder, Topshop Crushed Berry cream blush, Dior Addict Ultra Gloss Reflect #677 Silk Fuschia, Lancome Teint Miracle Natural Light Creator Bare Skin Perfecting Corrector Pen #1 and K-Palette Real Lasting Eyebrow 01.

This is my first time trying out Sleek makeup and I have to say it's pretty impressive! Although the eyeshadows tend to kick up quite a bit of loose powder when you run your brush or sponge applicator across the surface, the colour payoff is truly impressive, particularly for a drugstore brand. I also like the fact that there are no messy glitter bits. Instead, the finish is a smooth metallic glimmer. The eyeshadows also lasted very well over several hours of wear without fading or oxidising.

The silver and white shades do a great job of illuminating the inner corners while the darker purple shades like Twilight contrast very nicely with the black shades. The Bad Girl Palette is not supposed to be limited edition although it is currently sold out, as Sleek had a 50% sale recently. Nevertheless, you can probably find similar shades in Sleek's other existing palettes. Sleek ships internationally for a flat fee of US$13.50.

I also brought along the Sleek "Original" and Storm palettes that I picked up earlier on my London trip so I'll do some looks with them later this week.

Here's the ingredients list.

If you've tried Sleek's i-Divine palettes, do let me know your thoughts in the comments and which are your favourite palettes!

18 comments:

The Misery Chick said...

Wow! You look super GORGEOUS! :D

Btw, Iris, are Dior's Ultra Glosses perfumey? Was thinking of trying them, but unsure if they are heavily scented (like Guerlain's).

The Dior SAs usually watch me like a hawk each time I go near the counters.

-Maya

Karelessly in Love said...

If I'm not wrong, Bad Girl is not LE. It's just OOS. It's Good Girl that's LE.

Also, I think Sleek will print Limited Edition on their LE palettes.

Haru said...

Hi Maya,
Thank you! The Ultra Glosses don't have a strong scent. I also don't like the strong scent of Guerlain and Givenchy lipglosses, so I was quite glad to discover that the Dior Ultra Gloss is not strongly scented.

Don't let the unfriendly Dior SAs put you off browsing at the counters. I usually just swatch away merrily and then just ask them for help if I have any questions. As the customer, there's nothing wrong with browsing leisurely and taking the time to test out the products and make up our minds about whether to purchase them, as it is our hard-earned money after all and the SAs are there to help us. I have actually met a couple of friendly and helpful SAs at Dior, at the Tangs Orchard counter.

Haru said...

Karelessly,
Thanks for the tip! I've checked Sleek's Twitter and they said it's not LE too, just sold out at the moment. Have amended the post :-)

akiki said...

your hair looks good in this post

galpal.hi said...

A very gorgeous FOTD! I love the way you used the colors. You look very stunning!

*Kat*

Lisa R (in the UK) said...

Not to repeat what others have said (but who doesn't love a compliment, even if it is redundant??), you look GORGEOUS Iris! Absolutely stunning. That's a great colour combo on you!

Haru said...

hi Lisa,
Thank you! :-) I love purples, so it was a natural choice for me to do a smoky purple look with this palette.

Hi Kat,
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

what foundation are you using, haru? it looks good.

Catherine said...

Oh I LOVE this FOTD you did!!!! The eyeshadow and blush and gloss just go so beautifully together! Love the edgier looks on you too! :D

Lynn.TrinketsLove said...

Hi Iris, I'm loving this smoky look you have done! You look good too! All the colours in the palette look so pigmented and gorgeous...a value for money buy! :) Looking forward to more FOTD from you from this palette :D

Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm quite surprise at the look you churned out. I like. And with the staying power you mentioned, looks like this is one cheap and good palette with shades suitable for me! Thanks!

Cher

Haru said...

hi,
I'm using Skin79 Lovely Girl BB Cream as the foundation in this look. I got it as a freebie with a pack of My Beauty Diary masks from Watsons.

hi Catherine,
Thank you!

hi Lynn,
Thanks, will be doing more looks with this palette for sure!

hi Cher,
It's definitely a palette that's great value for money (if you don't mind the fact that it is made in China). If you are into smoky eyes, it's certainly a useful palettte to have.

Anonymous said...

Very stylish, i really like this look on you! :)

pinky with lashes said...

i like smokey looks on u den the naturally-nude ones! ^^

haha maybe i hate natural myself...

jenn said...

Beautiful eyes, Iris!

http://cocomotion.onsugar.com said...

This eye and lip combination is really really nice - and I like how the silvery lighter shades kind of pull it all together? I can't seem to use that kinda of light highlighers - seems to look too stark on my skintone :(

Haru said...

Gold seems to work well on you as the highlighter shade, whereas it doesn't work for me. I prefer to use silver, pink or dreamy whites.