Monday 6 December 2010

Travel Beauty Essentials

When packing for a trip, I always find that I'll spend just 20 minutes packing clothes and then at least an hour putting together my skincare and makeup items. I usually rummage through my stash to seek out the numerous sample sachets and other travel-sized products that I get as part of GWPs. The samples come in very handy in minimising the number of bottles, that carry the risk of leaking in one's luggage.

In this Kenzoki zip case, there are the Dove Intense Repair shampoo, Soap & Glory Hair Supply mask, Ole Henriksen Body Sleek Hydrating Lotion, Lancome Bi-Facil eye makeup remover, Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O, L'Occitane Cherry Blossom Hand Cream and Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes. I love the grapefruit scent of the Josie Maran wipes, which are excellent for removing makeup. The Dove shampoo has been working very well for me too. It doesn't leave my hair tangled and I can run my fingers through my hair after rinsing it out, even before using conditioner.

A variety of skincare and haircare samples from Jurlique, Body Shop etc, and some My Beauty Diary masks that the lovely Yumeko gifted me with some time back. I also brought along my Josie Maran Argan Oil Hair Serum, REN Micro Bead Purifying Facial Scrub and L'Occitane Cherry Blossom Shimmering Lotion.

The Philosophy skincare kit that I received as a GWP recently, plus some L'Occitane goodies that Kas gave me.

In my Jill Stuart mook makeup pouch, I've kept it to just the daily essentials (avoiding fragile glass bottles in favour of plastic squeeze tubes) plus some new stuff that I picked up recently. I usually also pack a few fragrance vials to last me through the trip.



Do you have any travel beauty essentials? If so, do let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love samples, trial sizes and deluxe gwps that i can throw away after use instead of lugging bottles back home, i don't mind products my skin is not used to on a short trip as i don't break out easily; i also try to bring one body lotion in a size that's appropriate for the entire duration of the trip so i junk that after use too! i even bring clothes like PJs that are a little worn out so that i can junk them before setting off on my way home -- also frees up luggage real estate for the shopping haul! :D --h.

Anonymous said...

i just posted my 7 item makeup kit for traveling. then i looked at your huge collection of samples and stuff! LOL

i also love samples for traveling. sometimes they don't work (if the are new to me) but most of the time, they are fantastic.

i spent a lot more time packing clothes. but makeup and skincare is an easy task for me. :)

awesome post!

shopaholic said...

in addition to what you normally bring, Clarisonic Mia, Acuvue daily disposable contact lens, mini hair styling products, small TBS hairbrush, Pantene intensive hair treatment in tubes, lipbalm are my must-haves!

Tiffany said...

hi Haru
welcome india and hi to your loved one :) hope he enjoys your bak gua hehe

my travel essential is those shu umera cleasing oil (small bottle they gave out as part of GWP) and i usually depot skincare into smaller transparent bottle u can get from daiso, travel friendly. just pack light like you

i saw you bought the AQ makeup base, how does that fare compared to your love Shiseido refining makeup base? thanks

Haru said...

hi Tiffany,
The AQ makeup base is quite good too as it helps to smoothen out the skin surface and reduces the appearance of pores. It has a very light lavender tone so it helps to make skin look fairer and more illuminated.

Jacqueline said...

I tend to pack too much of everything especially makeup items. I'm going on a trip too so am having a hard time paring things down.

Rachel said...

On trips, I usually bring really minimal makeup, especially if i'm going to temperate countries because my skin usually gets way better somehow and I can usually do without foundation then!

For skincare, I usually transfer my regular makeup remover (Mandom Cleansing Express), Clarins toner and face cleanser into refillable travel sized bottles or tubs because my skin is very very sensitive, particularly after air travel. I can't live without my moisturizers for plane travel and usually take both a light gel for daytime and a thicker cream for night and the plane. Also a body lotion and Oxy for emergency zit zapping!

For hair/body, I usually take along sample or travel sized ones which I can throw away at the end of the trip - usually I get them from Guardian/Watsons for just around $2. I'm really not picky about hair/body stuff.

My makeup routine is super simple because I rarely wear eyeshadow even in Singapore! I just take my Everyday Minerals foundation, concealer, undereye concealer/corrector, Kate Super Sharp Liner, a non-waterproof mascara (to make removal easy), a bright pink blush which can be layered (usually MAC Don't Be Shy), a highlighter (for nights out), 1-2 lipbalms and a moisturizing lipstick (either a MAC Slimshine or Guerlain Fleur de Feu, my fave of all time).

Haru said...

hi Rachel,
For work trips, I will also pack minimal makeup, usually just one eyeshadow palette, one mascara, one foundation (usually a sample tube), powder, eyebrow liner and eyeliner, and a couple of lipsticks or lipglosses. As for bodycare, I usually have lots of samples or travel sizes around so I just collect whatever is available. But somehow I usually end up bringing more than what I can use, so some of my samples have actually travelled with me to several places as I keep bringing them with me and not using them up!

hi Jacqueline,
It helps to plan ahead and know what you will actually need or use on the trip. Plus I know that I'll usually end up buying some new makeup items on a trip, which I can then use :-)